Author: thestud

Changing China: the evolving Chinese dialects [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-11-9 12:25:16 |Display all floors

re:Changing China: the evolving Chinese dialects

It is fact that most Chinese people would not communicate well with each other if they all speak with the dialects of themselves.It may derive from thr long history of China,and we all wonder that the language is the great bar to the people in one country.
I was born in a remote county in central China,and I could feel the inconvenient condition more immediately.Some people could not understand each other if they come from the other counties.
I have heard such a joke:In a university,there are four students from the different parts of China.At the first when they meeting at the new term,they could not understand each other because they all speak their dialects.Of course,the problem was solved at last,because they found that they could communicate with English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-11 02:14:58 |Display all floors

gtnbia

if you don't know jack shit about Chinese history, then don't bother offering you 2 cents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-24 17:04:56 |Display all floors

What an informative post!

I didn't know cantonese dialect had something to do with vietnam before I read your post. :) thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-24 17:44:32 |Display all floors

You are welcome, daydreamer66

What is your native dialect?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-24 17:47:38 |Display all floors

ding

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-24 21:16:22 |Display all floors

cogito

You are welcome. This post is very interesting. :)

My native dialect is chaozhou dialect, but I can speak Cantonese well

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-24 21:29:51 |Display all floors

cytheria

WOW, you have provided so much information for us. Very informative!Thank you.

As you have mentoined: the language(Cantonese, you meant) sounds very different from the other two main dialects -- Hakka and Chaozhou, which are derived from the central part of China.

I speak both Chaozhou and Cantonese and know of some Hakka sentences. I think that Hakka sounds very similar  with Cantonese. Many of my friends who speak Cantonese say they could probably understand some Hakka but find it difficult to understand even a word when I speak in Chaozhou dialect.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.