Views: 6148|Replies: 36

What west can learn from Chinese-style education?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-8-4 11:37:35 |Display all floors

(Photo provided by BBC)
(From BBC news) The Chinese education system - with its long school days and tough discipline - tops global league tables. But how did British pupils cope when five Chinese teachers took over part of their Hampshire school?For the BBC documentary Are Our Kids Tough Enough? Chinese School, an experiment was carried out at the Bohunt School in Liphook. Fifty children in year nine had to live under a completely different regime - one run by Chinese teachers.For four weeks, they wore a special uniform and started the school day at 07:00. Once a week there was a pledge to the flag. Lessons were focused on note-taking and repetition. Group exercise was undertaken. The pupils had to clean their own classrooms. There were two meal breaks in a 12-hour day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 12:41:42 |Display all floors
Chinese teachers should stop doing this to British kids.  It would make geniuses out of them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 13:16:11 |Display all floors
  At first,the pupils behaved badly- disengaged with the lessons, chatting and not listening to their teachers.As weeks passed, thanks both to the support of Bohunt's pastoral staff and a slight shift towards a teaching approach more recognisable to our pupils, behaviour improved.  
  Perhaps as a result of the amount of time spent together, teacher-pupil relationships got better and some pupils began to express a preference for the Chinese style.
  They liked having to copy "stuff" from the board as they thought this would help them remember it. Some more able pupils also liked the lecture style of the Chinese classroom.                                                           
                                                                                                                                   ----Neil Strowger,the headteacher of Bohunt School     

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 13:19:36 |Display all floors
  I'm a normal teenager - I like my sleep and my freedom. But I traded it all in for more school than sleep each day, for four weeks with pushy teachers, all while wearing a completely atrocious tracksuit for almost 12 hours a day.
  The project wasn't what I expected - I had envisioned something like normal school but maybe with a little more homework or a silent classroom.
That is most definitely not what I got. It felt like we had no say in our education and what the teachers said went.
  Acting like robots was the right way to go. For me, it was something I found difficult to get used to. I'm used to speaking my mind in class, being bold, giving ideas, often working in groups to advance my skills and improve my knowledge.
  The classroom environment felt stressful and enclosed. When you have 50 other pupils in the room it's hard enough to concentrate without being made to feel as if you are competing against them all the time.
                                                                                                                           ------Rosie Lunskey,aged 15 years old,studying at Bohunt school

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 13:21:53 |Display all floors
  I'm grateful that I could take part in the entire experimental project. It taught me a lot.
  I believe if we give students a stage to perform, they will surprise us.
  Originally I was confident about my teaching method, but at Bohunt I encountered unexpected problems. Some of the students found it hard to adapt. When I first introduced Pythagoras's theorem, I decided to let the students find the proposition, prove and apply the theorem. That process is an important feature of maths teaching in China.
  But a lot of students said they found it unnecessary to prove Pythagoras's theorem - knowing how to apply it was enough.
  I became more familiar with the British students' learning habits but I insisted on my ways of teaching.
  I introduced the Chinese Ring Puzzle to the students. I brought 70 puzzle pieces from China. I gave every student one puzzle to solve as an exercise, and I told them to keep it as a small gift from me. Unfortunately after the evening study session, some students left the ring puzzles on the desks, some even left them on the floor. The empty boxes were all over the floor. When I was doing the routine classroom inspection that evening, I felt very embarrassed.
  Another thing I remember is that one afternoon in the third week, a boy named Joe fell down in the classroom and hurt his hand. He was crying.  
  After the school doctor's examination, he was given some ice packs and advised to go to hospital.
                                                                                                        ----- Simon Zou, who taught maths and acted as form teacher               

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-8-4 13:53:48 |Display all floors
Better watch out....
the human rights loonies will not be to happy...
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-8-4 15:52:06 |Display all floors
StellaSong Post time: 2015-8-4 13:21
I'm grateful that I could take part in the entire experimental project. It taught me a lot.
  I b ...

Why bother with these disrespectful kids?  Keep your techniques of teaching to Chinese students.  Teaching is not a job, but an honor and a duty.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.