Author: voice_cd

Foreign language learning, the earlier the better?     [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-21 17:47:53 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-21 17:54:21 |Display all floors
Being exposed to foreign languages from birth is the best way to learn, otherwise from an age of two, or once they show the ability to concentrate on a task for more than a few minutes.

Parental support is ESSENTIAL, as to become fluent in a language requires constant exposure and refreshing of the nuances of that language.

My daughter is fluent in Spanish, English and Chinese at 4 years old, being born and educated in Spain, with English and Chinese-speaking parents.

It requires a lot of effort from my wife and I to keep her English and Chinese up to scratch, as she tends to lapse into Spanish when she cannot think of the work or phrase in the other languages.

Spending time with grandparents or relatives for extended times during holidays always helps to refresh her skills.

I am not sure when this constant refreshing of language no longer becomes neccessary, I guess by the age of twelve or so, when I understand the human brain becomes "hard-wired".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-23 05:14:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Motika at 2015-6-22 22:18

Children can learn up to 9 different languages
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-23 10:29:23 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-23 10:32:08 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-23 13:45:34 |Display all floors
OPINION: learning foreign languages, the earlier the better.

Reasons: I am a English major student in China, a Chinese foreign teacher in Korea. Talking of learning foreign languages, I think  I have more to say. As a Chinese student, I started learning English from middle school.  At that time, most students in our class had learnt English in their elementary schools. Honestly speaking, every English class in the first year  made me stressed out. These students did very good job, but not including me. I worked so hard to catch up with them. Luckily, I made it in the last year in middle school. That's not all. Since Chinese teaching model focuses more on scores, I could write and read English, but couldn't speak it. Not until my college year, I started  to learn how to speak in English. Thanks to my efforts, now I can speak good English. But during the process, I suffered a lot. When you  start speaking a foreign language, pronounciation matters. No matter how hard I tried to imitate and tried to practice, I still couldn't be confident about my pronounciation, which saddens me. But in our class in college, those who received good English training usually had awesome performance in many English speeching contests. Then I couldn't help thinking if I could learn English at earlier age and in better environment, wjhat would happen? I think at least I would be more confident and more competitive in my life.
      Since now I am in Korea, working as a foreign teacher, I become more sure of the idea "to learn foreign languages, the earlier the better. Actually I teach in an elementary school where six grades all have their Chinese classes once a week, as well as preschoolers. You can't believe that sixth-grade students are the worst in learning Chinese, especially in terms of pronounciation. I teach six grade only six to eight phrases in one 40-minute class. But they still can't  grasp them. But as I teach earlier grades, they are marvelous! Their pronouciation is the best. And the interesting thing is, the earlier the better. Preschool students are just like a repeater. You teach them what, and they repeat what. But I have to say, preschoolers they can't analyse. They just know the sentence and they just can speak the sentence, while higher grades they can analyse how to use the sentence and how to make their own. Thus I should make my opinion clear in this way: the earlier you learn a foreign language, the better your language sense is. But age is not the only thing that matters. As you grow older, you keep learning, thinking and analyzing, you can make a different.
    However, the follow-ups is only for my English study. Now I can speak English, French, Japanese and a little Korean. I have learnt French and Japanese in my college years. And I started to learn Korean from the beginning of this year. Since I live in Korea, it becomes easier for me to learn Korean. Let alone age, I think if you wanna learn some foreign languages, the best way is to stay and live in that country. Doesn't it sound better?(just joking~)
    That's all I wanna say~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-23 15:01:41 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2015-6-18 09:17
I have said here many times that learning for the youngest children is "play". Children play and enj ...

So from what you have learned in China, does the English teaching towards those toddlers or kids in the kindergarten take effect? Do Chinese kids get  accustomed to the current teaching methods by Chinese or foreign English teachers? what's the core problem do you think?  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.