Author: voice_cd

Foreign language learning, the earlier the better?     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-23 16:06:09 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2015-6-23 15:12
please list the problems of the Chinese English teaching or learning you got and to be a positive  ...

The problems I know about in Chinese English teaching are a decade and are addressed, so that's done, and I show one of the solutions in http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/blog-1377217-30127.html.

Yes, I very much support bilingual preschool education, depending on how it is done. I appreciate the Montessori system for its nice environment, and the children love playing, how no learning happened and there was too much control, which the children mocked. The same children, in their own homes, are talkative and learn easily, and without attitude confllicts. So my first impression of Montessori is negative. However, the core education materials from America http://www.amazon.com/What-Kinde ... dated/dp/0345543734 [a series from preschool to grade six teaching science, art, history and poems], is how we taught English for 3 hours per day in Taipei. It works! The children like it. The teacher is nor harassed nor for entertainment, and rather, says the workplan which the children do. So per normal, the teacher talks for about 10 minutes in a 40 minute class, with the quiet half hour being for monitoring and giving feedback and encouragement while the students practice. The students can read the materials themselves starting from grade 2, some in grade 1, with support through the preschool and kindergarten levels in which the teacher reads to the students who are learning enough to be bilingual in their age level. Of the three hours, 10 minutes is playtime every hour. The children like learning topic related language instead of only from boring grammar books.
Jennifer Han Zhenhao

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-23 17:21:21 |Display all floors
i think if the condition is allow ,it better to let child to learn engligh as early as better.my little girl is about 2years old, and i am prepare to teach her english recently .

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-23 22:02:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-23 22:07:55 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-6-24 10:02:02 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2015-6-23 15:03
you touch the pain in the neck of our Chinese-style English learning. So what suggestions do you h ...

#1: a teacher's primary function is not to impart knowledge, but to gear his/her students' minds to learning.
The attitude of: "You are now in school, this is serious business, you'd better work hard" is lost on children who have no idea of what 'working hard' means.
Playing is an effective learning method that can be used in classrooms of all levels. Singing songs, using props - number and letter blocks, colors, movement can all work well to help children learn, as well as reducing the stress of learning. Role play games encourage students to develop critical thinking skills.
Children's attention span, especially in younger years is small - generally 2 minutes per year of the child's life. Thus, a 6 year old child is likely to have about 12 minutes of focused attention, after which s/he will get bored, mind will wander, or s/he will get distracted. Breaking lessons down into smaller segments, suitable to students' attention span is more likely to bring about success in education. Thus, a variety of subjects can be taught within the same class period.
#2: teachers cannot process students as though they were a product. They must be invested in their students, find their strengths and help develop their weaknesses and teach with passion.
#3: parents must not push their children to rigid academic learning. Children learn best by playing. Parents can incorporate learning with playing, thus giving future students a good foundation for academic learning and a good sense of self.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-24 12:09:58 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-6-19 21:03
I think all your middle schools, high schools and colleges do that very well - to impart a disli ...

Agree with this point.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-25 06:15:39 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2015-6-23 15:09
So from what you have seen , does the English teaching towards those toddlers or kids in the kinde ...

One of the problems I see in Chinese style education is how seriously it is taken. There doesn't seem to be a 'fun' factor included. If you visited a kindergarten in my country and compared it to China you would see a completely different style of teaching the very young. Foreign English teachers are employed by many private kindergartens for what reason? Well, to teach some basic English vocabulary but more importantly to teach the kids by playing games. Gregarious and outgoing personalities are not common traits in Chinese teachers, or, if they are, they are not allowed to be demonstrated.

Long lesson times, more than an hour, seems to be the way to go here. Did you know that the attention span of a 3, 4 and 5 year old can be measured in minutes?

I believe that the use of foreign teachers can be better utilised in the public school system where they can teach pronunciation, idioms, natural speaking and do it more interestingly. A lot less emphasis on grammar would be good too. Looks like a waste of time to me!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.