Views: 7159|Replies: 38

'Left-behind kids' issue, where is solution?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-13 18:16:30 |Display all floors

We have heard many tragic stories about China's "left-behind" children, and the tragedy that struck a poor village in Bijie, Southwest China's Guizhou province, earlier this week is particularly overwhelming.

Four siblings, all minors, were found dead in their village home on Tuesday evening. Local police suspect they committed suicide by drinking pesticide. The four, a 13-year-old boy and his three younger sisters (the youngest was just 5), stopped going to school a month ago. They lived alone because their father works in another place and their mother disappeared three years ago, village residents said.

Details will be known only after police complete their investigation. A media report cited Zhang Shigui, a villager claiming to be a relative of the children, as saying: "The only food they had was corn ... because they were too poor." But other reports said vegetables and preserved meat were found in the house.

for more click here: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2015-06/13/content_20991929.htm

So after the emotional reaction to this news, where is the solution? we want you to give your ideas.

Please try to control your emtion cause that doesn't help on this issue at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 18:28:43 |Display all floors
The tragedy is that there is no attempt to ensure that at least one parent remains with the children to ensure they are raised properly.
Elderly grandparents are NOT the answer.
The alternative is that the parents bring the children with them to wherever they are working, but due to the fact that they don't have a local hokou, they are excluded from accessing education in the cities.

Most European countries I know, a family will do all it can to remain together no matter how difficult the financial circumstances are, even if it means one parent being absent for a few months at a time.
If you can not afford to be present as a parent with your child yourself, you should not have one.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-6-13 18:35:27 |Display all floors
That is very sad story, I should know I have not seen my children in many years. I do understand these children missing their parents and their parents miss their children everyday,  my heart go out to the families who will never get over their loss and blame themselves the sad thing is it's not their fault, the system let the families down it needs to be changed to be family friendly. Happy families a happy society

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-6-13 19:23:37 |Display all floors
its all over the news ...
the kids were subjected to physical abuse by their parents. The oldest had his arm broken, and one of the girls was forced to stand out in the baking hot sun for hrs as a punishment. Why did the local authorities turn a blind eye to this horrific abuse?
at least they are now being investigated, and hopefully they will face a lengthy jail term...
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 19:24:44 |Display all floors
As a survived victim of being left behind myself ,  I would say as Mark Twain once said the lack of money is the source of all evils.   Lacking  of money forces the parents to go out to make ends meet, leaving behind those poor kids  who understandably feel unloved , lonely and helpless .  So the solution is :
1. Chinese gov should think twice before it carelessly squander the wealth of this nation owned by the people.  
2. Creating an equal society that everyone can get what she deserves  no matter who her parents are .
Democracy and Freedom is over-due and much needed now to make China have less of tragedies happening in a huge amount everyday ,of which only few get as much attention as this one  .
3. Warm heart and good attention are cry far from enough to make a difference.   We need cold head and action to change China for the better.

Really sad as it could happened to me  just years ago , I just survived with luck.
That's why we ,as lucky living persons , should make  this world  a better place by first make ourselves a better person.   

Move the world  by moving ourselves first.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 19:45:09 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2015-6-13 19:23
its all over the news ...
the kids were subjected to physical abuse by their parents. The oldest had ...

for anyone 'interfering' (even police) is 'exposing family ugliness'.
Look also at how underreported domestic violence is as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 19:50:41 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2015-6-13 19:45
for anyone 'interfering' (even police) is 'exposing family ugliness'.
Look also at how underreport ...

China is a patient who has so many illess  needed to be cured ,even if she is much better off financially than ever before.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.