Views: 6421|Replies: 40

English Education Today And tomorrow [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-7 12:55:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-6-7 13:32

English education in China has descended from a lofty noble profession into the cesspit of a dog-eat-dog business of ill repute, where Chinese businessmen who can't even string together a sentence in English, nor write their own names in English, open up schools all over the country, all scrambling to hitch a ride on the lucrative English education gravy train!
They scam students with high pressure sales tactics, and exhorbitant fees, making audacious claims of being able to help students speak English like native speakers overnight, knowing full well that Chinese students are always in a hurry to speak English to get themselves a better job!  Many schools even provide financing to poorer students who can't  fork out the lump sum fees of 50,000 yuan per course, allowing them to make small easy monthly instalments.  Many students don't realise that they are being led to be slaughtered because of the promise of quick results with minimum efforts, and of course by the easy instalments.  By the time they realise that they have been duped, that there is no short cut to English proficiency, and that the easy instalments are just a bait to get them hooked to a loan they can ill afford,  it is too late.  They find that they can't get out of a legally-binding contract!  That's when, in desperation, they turn to the media for help, and that's when the whole scam is exposed to the glare of publicity!
Another unethical practice language schools resort to, to maximise their profits is to employ cheap unqualified foreign tourists as English teachers!  These come to China on tourist visas and can't qualify for a foreign expert certificate which requires at least a degree from a recognised foreign university.  The schools take advantage of students' and their parents' misconception that English is best taught by one who has a foreign look, preferably a white, but a black or a brown is also acceptable because they look foreign, even though they are not qualified.  The schools know that all they have to do to recruit students is to have a foreign face in class.  How sad, students are duped again! And they go round boasting that, "My foreigner teacher is from America"! Yes, unbelieveable but true, that's the kind of English they learn to speak, and it does not come cheap either!
Unless the education authorities rein in the excesses of the English education business, the situation will get worse, as more and more unscrupulous people jump into this lucrative business, and the losers are, as always, the students, of course!  They should weed out the fly-by-night schools, round up the tourist teachers and deport them!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-8 11:58:42 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-8 12:22:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-6-8 11:58
I guess you have been hired to polish the shoes of your black-skinned foreign English teachers so  ...

'I guess you have been hired to polish the shoes of your black-skinned foreign English teachers'

Stop making wild guesses.  I speak my mind freely, without fear or favor;  I am no beholden to anyone! If you want to start name-calling, you will be ignored!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-8 16:01:36 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-12 11:33:12 |Display all floors
I guess you have been hired to polish the shoes of your black-skinned foreign English teachers so  ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-12 12:33:48 |Display all floors

I guess you must be one of those tourist teachers teaching without a work visa nor a foreign expert certificate, that's why you are so unhappy when I expose such scams.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-12 16:01:15 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.