Views: 834|Replies: 10

Should begging be banned on subways?[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-8 09:29:32 |Display all floors
Editor's note:  Authorities have banned begging on Beijing's subways and violators can be fined up to 1,000 yuan ($ 160). Share you views on the move on our website.

Catherine (China)

Well it is a problem but to put a ban on it is not really the right thing to do. Some beggars really have difficulties making a living. They perform music in subways to survive. Instead of looking down upon th ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 09:29:33 |Display all floors
yes, there are some people really in difficult and need help to survive, but that is the responsibility of Social Assistance Station. On the other side, some, maybe most of the beggar in subway, they are actually cheater, they have a group supporting them. So begging in subway should be banned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 11:50:07 |Display all floors
China government must solve permanently this problem. Reason is begging will affect social aspects. There should be a place to shelter them, provide them with some simple work to instill respect in themselves and have themselves not going to perform the old profession, any more. Just a suggestion, please try some better ones, if there exist! Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 15:04:15 |Display all floors
Yes, begging should be banned in the subways.

At first I was torn on this issue because I enjoy the artistry and inspiration of seeing people perform music on the subway. It reminds me of seeing drummers, violinists, and saxophone players in New York, San Francisco or cities of the like. What if an aspiring musician from the down and outs of Beijing calls it quits because they can no longer make money on the subways? Isn’t it already hard enough for them to battle the norms of social conformity? Doesn't China need more brave young musical artists?

The possibility of this cultural loss however is well outweighed by the fact that children and elderly people are being blatantly exploited by thugs who force them to beg. I know as well as anyone the momentary good feeling of giving spare yuan to someone with a genuine look of desperation. In fact I have given more often to the elderly couples, crippled, and single mother beggars then to the musicians. The reality is though that at least some if not all of these destitute beggars don't get to keep the money we give them, it goes to thugs who keep them as close to death as possible so that they look all the more pathetic in our eyes.

And I don't believe there is a middle ground. It is too difficult to sort out the true aspiring musicians from the beggars forced to sing or play instruments by their gangster masters. It is an unfair burden to put on subway security who have more important concerns then who can or can't truly carry a tune. Trying to find a middle ground only creates loopholes for the thugs to operate, thereby perpetuating servitude on the poor exploited souls whom our money is given to in charity, and which is then stolen from them without recourse.

Subway begging should be banned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-8 15:05:09 |Display all floors
Yes, begging should be banned in the subways.

At first I was torn on this issue because I enjoy the artistry and inspiration of seeing people perform music on the subway. It reminds me of seeing drummers, violinists, and saxophone players in New York, San Francisco or cities of the like. What if an aspiring musician from the down and outs of Beijing calls it quits because they can no longer make money on the subways? Isn’t it already hard enough for them to battle the norms of social conformity? Doesn't China need more brave young musical artists?

The possibility of this cultural loss however is well outweighed by the fact that children and elderly people are being blatantly exploited by thugs who force them to beg. I know as well as anyone the momentary good feeling of giving spare yuan to someone with a genuine look of desperation. In fact I have given more often to the elderly couples, crippled, and single mother beggars then to the musicians. The reality is though that at least some if not all of these destitute beggars don't get to keep the money we give them, it goes to thugs who keep them as close to death as possible so that they look all the more pathetic in our eyes.

And I don't believe there is a middle ground. It is too difficult to sort out the true aspiring musicians from the beggars forced to sing or play instruments by their gangster masters. It is an unfair burden to put on subway security who have more important concerns then who can or can't truly carry a tune. Trying to find a middle ground only creates loopholes for the thugs to operate, thereby perpetuating servitude on the poor exploited souls whom our money is given to in charity, and which is then stolen from them without recourse.

Subway begging should be banned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-11 09:53:58 |Display all floors
begging should be banned. we do feel sorry for the begaers but thereis no exception that some beggars are professional beggars. and the most important things is the government should do something to deal wirh the problems. that is the best way to solve the problems.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-15 21:25:52 |Display all floors
Begging should be banned. No exceptions. There is social assistance in China. It spoils the image of China in the world. Basking is not begging. There is a difference. I suppose more could be done to educate people on saving for their old age.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.