Views: 8745|Replies: 24

Why did I leave US after seven years?[3]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-30 11:48:58 |Display all floors
Sharon Shi poses with her family on a Kayak. After living in the US for seven years, she and her family have relocated to China.[Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

My husband, a college graduate of mathematical computational science from Stanford University, actually has even less faith than I in the American educational system due to his own experience. It goes without saying that obvious ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-30 11:48:59 |Display all floors
Great article Sharon. Enjoyed your viewpoint. I also view the U.S. as bland and non-changing. You could try a European country next, somewhere like Berlin, a dynamic multi-cultural city. Either way, best of luck in the next leg of your journey through life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-31 01:30:59 |Display all floors
Excellent article, that virtually sums up Western values across a wide spectrum of life attitudes and pursuits..

An old friend from Uzbekistan, once said to me, "They value only the things that sparkle, flashing lights, and tinkling noises.. All the things that are temporary in this life.."  
As for "Ownership", I value the opinion of the Aboriginals here, who consider the idea of Land Ownership, a very wasted enterprise.. As one old guy said to me, "You don't own land.. the land owns you.. out of it you came, and back to it you will return."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-31 04:21:34 |Display all floors
I have just the opposit view of the author. As an American, I lived with my Chinese wife in Beijing for three years. My Company transferred me there and at first I enjoyed the culture. Over time and especially after having a son, we were concerned about the pollution and food concerns for our son. I was actually being paid as a hardship case and a few of my colleagues transfers to Singapore. Beijing is a big City but I grew up in a big city in the US. Most people at my Company who came to China as expats stated they could not compete in the US and China gives them another route. I am glad to be back in the US and we are going for a walk today in the park with blue skies above our heads.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-1 03:26:24 |Display all floors
The U.S. public educational system is not good at all. When I was attending University in California, my American classmates would tell me how they hated high-school and couldn't wait to graduate. But even in college, the frat scene, party school, football culture does not encourage a student to study hard but to play hard. They end up majoring in the three Bs: booze, babes and 'balls.

Don't get me wrong. The top Universities in the U.S.A. are world-class institutions but unless you're super smart or super rich, then better just stick to a local University and get exposed to foreign cultures by traveling overseas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-1 04:53:51 |Display all floors
interesting article but in the future please have respect for the animals and do not allow your kid to stand on the tortoise's back. It's animal cruelty to do this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-1 13:49:15 |Display all floors
I insist that most Chinese people blindly chase "American Dream" rather than spend more time knowing their needs in their hearts.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.