Author: bfsuleo

Should TV dramas be historically accurate?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-23 18:50:02 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-12-23 17:35
If you want to call a production a "historical drama" then it should be historically accurate as pos ...

Spot on!

yes, historical drama is HISTORICAL as in  HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.

Soap opera is whatever they want it to be.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-23 19:52:23 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-23 18:50
Spot on!

yes, historical drama is HISTORICAL as in  HISTORICALLY ACCURATE.

I have to laugh at the number of girls who believe that 'Downton Abbey' is an accurate portrayal of life in a large house between the wars.
There are SO many historical inaccuracies, but most people ignore them for the sake of entertainment.
Equally there are many historical drama's, as you point out, that are blatant propaganda - each country is guilty of this, sometimes it is so crude it is laughable.
bottom line: TV drama is FICTION, even if it had real historical figures in it.
if you are unable to distinguish between fact (documentary of indisputable facts) and fiction, you really need to get out more.
Anything that relies on interpretation of factual events or people then approaches propaganda and fiction.
Banning it for not being accurate is a laughable idea and would make the world a more boring place

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-23 23:28:16 |Display all floors
I like "McHale's Navy" or the movie "What did you do in the war Daddy"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-24 08:56:08 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ysyaileen at 2014-12-24 08:57

i think that depends on what kind of drama. if it is some stories really happened in the past then it must be based on the truth of the history, that is  one kind of respect, isn't it?
especially when it concerns some famous people who had made great contribution to the history, the drama must tell the truth .if the director just makes up the stories and changes the historical facts then it will mislead the audiences.
entertainment doesn't mean that you can add any funny elements into the drama without considering the facts of history. entetainment also must be educated and meaningfull, otherwise you just waste your time watching them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-24 08:58:54 |Display all floors
Depends who made the history.

The winners always write the history as they want.
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-24 15:26:58 |Display all floors
I learned more lies in school then i ever did from tv.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.