Views: 4626|Replies: 9

Japan rewrites history again! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-19 12:57:15 |Display all floors
Ok this was taken from The guardian, I don't claim it to be my ownbut it deserves some thought

Japanese conservatives have levelled charges of racism at the Angelina Jolie second world war biopic Unbroken and called for the Oscar-winning actor to be banned from the country, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Nationalist campaigners say the film’s vision of Japanese guards severely mistreating American prisoners of war is deeply misleading. They have launched a petition on the website Change.org – so far it has more than 8,000 signatures – calling for the film to be banned on the grounds that it is “contradictory to the facts”.

Jolie’s film is based on the life story of American Olympic runner and US Air Force second lieutenant Louis Zamperini, as told in Laura Hillenbrand’s 2010 book Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption. Zamperini, played by Jack O’Connell, was beaten and mistreated by the Japanese navy between July 1943 and the end of the war in August 1945 after being captured near the Marshall Islands following the downing of the B-24 bomber he had been helping to crew and a harrowing 47 days at sea.

The book and film tell how the airman was tormented by prison guard Mutsuhiro Watanabe, nicknamed the Bird, who later featured in General Douglas MacArthur’s list of the 40 most-wanted war criminals in Japan. Watanabe once forced a weak and starving Zamperini to hold a heavy piece of wood above his head for 37 minutes before punching him in the stomach, and the book also accuses the Japanese of engaging in cannibalism of POWs and indulging in murderous medical experiments.

Hiromichi Moteki, secretary general of the nationalist pressure group the Society for the Dissemination of Historical Fact, told the Telegraph the claims were “pure fabrication”. He said: “If there is no verification of the things he said, then anyone can make such claims. This movie has no credibility and is immoral.”

However, activists hoping to convince Japan to face up to its actions during the war are angry that the experiences of Zamperini, who died in July aged 97, are being questioned. Mindy Kotler, director of Asia Policy Point, told the Telegraph: “It is one thing to question the memories of illiterate women who were forced into sexual slavery for the Japanese military. It is quite another to question the memory of a white male Olympian who was a disciple of Billy Graham.

“Further, there is plenty of documentation on the abuse and tortures inflicted upon POWs. There is also plenty of eyewitness and forensic evidence of Japanese cannibalism of prisoners as well of fellow soldiers.”

Unbroken was initially pitched as an Oscars contender, but Jolie’s latest film has so far received only lukewarm reviews. It is out in US cinemas on Christmas Day, and arrives in the UK on Boxing Day.

You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 13:38:23 |Display all floors
Why is it anything bad you say about japan, they don't own up to it? I read the book, Zamperini even went to the prison camps after he sorted his life out to forgive the guards. If I was a liar, I would hardly walk back and "forgive them"

This has all been well documented. I find it disgusting there are still people in todays age, not even having been there, are still willing to refute it for the sake of national pride. We should serve humanity first then our national pride.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 14:15:57 |Display all floors
this kind of country would never be strong .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-19 17:48:46 |Display all floors
If you think Zamperini's treatment was bad, think of the British and Austrailian POWs taken to Burma to build the railway, the American POWs forced to march from Bataan and the Western POWs taken to the "hell" camps in Japan, Taiwan and Manchuria via "hell" ships. While China and S. Korea rightfully remembers their war crime victims, Western nations are surprisingly silent on remembering their own war crime victims.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-2 22:34:00 |Display all floors
I think the Japanese prime minister act as child who is not fit for politics.
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-2 23:28:47 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2014-12-19 17:48
If you think Zamperini's treatment was bad, think of the British and Austrailian POWs taken to Burma ...

"Western nations are surprisingly silent on remembering their own war crime victims."

To put it plainly, bullshit. For example the ANZAC day commemorations in Australia and New Zealand are very solemnly observed throughout both nations, even by the youth of these countries whose great grandfathers could have fought in past conflicts.

It quite common for former POW's not to want to talk about or to relive their horrific wartime experiences AT ALL and would much prefer to indeed remain silent about these nightmares of the past and to respect their mates who have died.

Ex POW's such as Sir Edward "Weary" Dunlop was a doctor who served prisoners on the Burma Railway.He is revered in Australia to the extent that there are statues of him - significantly 'not' army uniform - in both Melbourne and at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, the name of this significant building in itself indicating the country's great pride in its serving men and women. Lest we forget.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-3 00:59:06 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2014-12-19 13:38
Why is it anything bad you say about japan, they don't own up to it? I read the book, Zamperini even ...

it is human tendency to avoid embarrassing situation.
Did British ever accepted the atrocities they inflicted on Indian subcontinent ?......

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.