Post time 2014-12-9 17:05:45 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-9 17:06:33 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-9 20:45:22 |Display all floors
AndrewPKU Post time: 2014-12-9 17:05
I honestly can't even believe the way you think about this.

Well I didn't grow up hating the poor.  I did not grow up in a conservative household.  My parents were not republican.

My parents were catholic and tried to follow the faith.  My mother calls the rhythm method 'Sherry, Mark, Tracey & Julie'.  They had four kids in five years until leaving the catholic church over birth control.  We were poor when we were little.   I remember my mother getting boxes of clothes that was donated from other members of the church.  While in church, I was taught that its how you treat the 'least of men' that you will be judged.  

I have not followed the faith since I was a child.  I am an atheist, but those values where it is our duty to help the poor is something that has stuck with me and I am actually pretty proud of.  

I was also a single mother.  I divorced with 3 children age six and under.  I left an abusive marriage.  For awhile, we needed government help.  It was complete hell, but I went from living in a shelter for battered women to having my own business and living in an upscale neighborhood in 10 years.  I worked and put myself through college.  During that time because of child care expenses I was literally working for 1 dollar an hour.  I was only on welfare for 3 months.  But for about six years while I struggled through the worst of it - I was accused of being a welfare queen more times than I can count.  The utter hatred I felt towards me and my family from people like you and lebeast is something I will never forget or forgive really.

We need to be supportive of families so they can better themselves.  We need to stop being so hateful and judgemental.  I make decent money now.  I can tell you with complete honesty - I care not about my tax dollars going to help families in need.  In fact, its the best use of my tax dollars.  I'd rather feed 100 families than have my tax dollars go to bigger and badder killing machines and war.

I don't think we should hate the poor Andrew.  It doesn't help anything.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-9 22:10:23 |Display all floors
AndrewPKU Post time: 2014-12-8 17:53
So, is it fair to have children that one cannot afford?

No. It's not fair or responsible in my opinion. But society should do more to support those children which are irresponsibly-conceived and live-born. For me this is not a question of the "rights of parents". It is about the needs of society and the children. I do not regard children as merely being the "property of the parents or mother". They have independent human rights once they are live-born (but not before).
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-9 22:14:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ted180 at 2014-12-9 09:36
AndrewPKU Post time: 2014-12-9 04:06
The generation of our parents created a non-sustainable environment and lessening the human popula ...

All generations have been irresponsible in their breeding. I strongly-agree that the world population must be reduced to about 4 billion. And that the reduction should be selective by decreasing the number of children born into poverty. To create a population of well-educated and prosperous humans. This may be branded as "elitist". But it is actually a practical view that would contribute to the welfare of all humans.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-9 23:09:52 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-12-9 07:45
Well I didn't grow up hating the poor.  I did not grow up in a conservative household.  My parents ...

I agree that we should closely examine Andrew's views and not leap to conclusions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-10 00:47:52 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2014-12-9 22:14
All generations have been irresponsible in their breeding. I strongly-agree that the world populat ...

Except the well-off are not going to have enough children to sustain the population.

How do you encourage them to have more children if you can't use money as an incentive?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.