Views: 11706|Replies: 59

Obama’s gum chewing offends Chinese   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-12 14:50:09 |Display all floors

Obama’sgum chewing offends Chinese who take to social media to call him a ‘rapper’ and‘idler’

BarackObama’s behaviour at an important summit in Beijing has enraged Chinese internet users -because he was seen chewing gum.

The U.S.President, a known user of Nicorette, a gum used to stop smoking cravings, wasseen chomping away at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) afteremerging from his limousine at the Water Cube, the Olympic swimming venue,while traditional dancers performed around him.

ChineseInternet users, used to far greater levels of formality from their leaders,branded him an ‘idler’ and a ‘rapper’.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 14:52:08 |Display all floors

He said: ‘Wemade this meeting so luxurious, with singing and dancing, but see Obama,stepping out of his car chewing gum like an idler.’

Beijing pulled out all the stops for the gathering,which has seen 21 world leaders including Russia’sVladimir Putin descend on Beijing,is the biggest event yet hosted by Chinese President Xi Jinping, who tookoffice last year.

RussianPresident Vladimir Putin (left) and U.S. President Barack Obama (right) standwith Chinese President Xi Jinping (second left) and other leaders during theAPEC Summit family photo in Beijing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 14:53:12 |Display all floors

Some ofthe Chinese public are angry at the disruption it has caused.

Authoritieshave banned wood fires to curb pollution and help ensure blue skies for theleaders instead of the usual grey smog, leading to freezing nights forvillagers on the outskirts of Beijing.

‘I nowsleep under three quilts at night,’ said a man who gave only his surname, Bai,as is typical of many Chinese when speaking to journalists.

‘Therecannot be any smoke, and we cannot heat our brick beds,’ said the 68-year-old.

Obamaposes as he participates in a tree-planting ceremony outside the International ConferenceCenter in YanqiLake, north of Beijing. Right, with Chinese President XiJinping

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 14:54:01 |Display all floors
Traditional raised sleeping platforms in frigid northern Chinese houses are often heated by coal and provide warmth during both the day and night.
Authorities also ordered one of China’s most popular air pollution-reporting apps to remove data provided by the U.S. embassy, a company spokesman said Tuesday.
The Chinese capital is periodically hit by choking, acrid haze, with particulate levels soaring far beyond recommended limits and public anger mounting over the issue.
While the city government provides its own air pollution data, a separate reading by the US embassy in Beijing is widely considered more reliable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 19:42:01 |Display all floors
The net users are ill educated and bumpkins........no one cares about their sheepish act of collective seppuku!
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 19:56:58 From mobile |Display all floors
I'm Chinese and I think it's ok as apec is an informal meeting

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-12 21:09:06 |Display all floors
most chinese are crackheads & they dont understand what smokers do when they dont suck a cigarette in their mouths...i dont smoke & i hate smokers especially a lady smoker  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.