Views: 5656|Replies: 7

Why the Chinese don't go Dutch ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-22 16:42:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RosieLux at 2014-10-22 16:55

Recently, I feel burdened when facing the fact that I have to respectively invite so many people  to dinners. As everyone knows, western people will go Dutch while having a meal in a restaurant, while the Chinese don’t go Dutch, they will pay the bill and check out generously. Western people don’t often entertain guests, while the Chinese often invite friend to dinner, and this is a part of so-called Chinese table culture. I really want to say I'm tired of this kind of culture.

Why is there such a difference?

Western people eat for health, while the Chinese eat for friendship. Western people advocate individualism and independence, so they express that respect for each other’s independence by means of going Dutch. The Chinese like making friends, and they value the interpersonal relationship very much. There are lots of folk proverbs in China, such as "Things are easier to handle if you have many friends." As we can see, the position of a friend is so important in the mind of the Chinese. The reason why the Chinese don’t go Dutch is that they don’t want to destroy their friendship. Traditionally, going Dutch is considered stingy in China, which is unfavorable to keep harmonious interpersonal relationship.

Generally speaking, in China, when a person invites you to dinner, he may well pay the bill. The purposes of invitation vary. For example, you do him a favor, he will invite you to dinner in order to express gratitude to you, certainly, he will pay the bill. Then suppose I'm a manager of a company, and you are the manager of another company. I want to talk about the business with you, and I will say: “Let’s go out to dinner together!”. Certainly, I will pay the bill. My purpose is to promote the cooperation between our two companies.

The fact that the Chinese don’t go Dutch and treat someone to dinner may not only be a kind of custom, but also develops into a social gathering means for different purposes, I don't know, maybe it's to repay a favor, or to ask someone to do a favor, and so on so forth.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-22 16:48:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by RosieLux at 2014-10-22 16:50

vs        

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-22 17:33:45 |Display all floors
most chinese act like that..
it's a tradition.we were taught to do so .

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-10-22 19:59:20 |Display all floors
Their afraid you'll eat more then them.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-22 21:53:39 |Display all floors
Sometimes, Chinese people like to get food for you using his own chopsticks and you mostly can not refused.I feel embarrassed,especially when the food which he serviced is not meet my taste.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-22 23:44:01 |Display all floors
There are two ways to look at this in US.If you decide to go with a friend to lunch or dinner,then you will share the cost.If you call someone and ask them if they would like to go out,then yes you should pay.many times the person you invite will want to share he bill with you.If you come to the states the DimSum will be on me pretty lady

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 08:41:39 |Display all floors
i am living in china , it is a tradition,we can't change .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.