Views: 1986|Replies: 7

Australian car-crash victim wakes up from coma speaking fluent Mandarin [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-20 19:58:31 |Display all floors
When 22-year-old Australian car-crashvictim Ben McMahon woke up from a week-long coma, the only language he couldspeak was fluent Mandarin. So fluent, in fact, that he is now a popular TV starin China!

11.jpg

The incident took place in early 2012 – Benwas in a terrible car crash in Melbourne that left him battling for his life.While his survival seemed like a miracle, nobody was prepared for the bizarretwist that occurred when he finally regained consciousness a week later – hisbrain simply decided to switch from English to Mandarin.

“Most of it’s hazy, but when I woke upseeing a Chinese nurse, I thought I was in China,” recalled Ben. “It was like adream. It was surreal. It was like my brain was in one place but my body was inanother. I just started speaking Chinese – they were the first words that leftmy mouth.”

According to the Asian nurse who wasattending to Ben at the time, his first words upon waking up were: “Excuse menurse, I feel really sore here.” He apparently said the whole thing inMandarin. Then, he asked for a piece of paper and a pen and wrote on it inMandarin script: “I love my mum, I love my dad, I will recover.”

22.jpg

Ben’s doctors and family were stupefied byhis affinity for the foreign tongue. Although he had learned Mandarin at schooland traveled to Beijing before the accident, he had never really mastered thelanguage. “I wasn’t consciously thinking I was speaking Mandarin, it was whatjust came out and it was what was most natural to me,” he said. It actuallytook a couple of days before he remembered to speak English.

His newfound language skills did come at aprice – Ben does get tired easily and he needs to sleep more. But a host ofopportunities have also opened up for him. He has conducted Chinese tours ofhis hometown Melbourne, and he’s now hosting a Mandarin TV program called ‘Au My Ga’ that explains Australian culture to Chineseexpats.

“They’ve really welcomed me with openarms,” said Ben. “There aren’t too many people that studied the Mandarinlanguage at this level. That really gives you a lot of force behind yourself tojust keep going and going.” Ben also said that he’s just really glad hesurvived and that he’s able to speak a second language.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2014-9-21 03:44:40 |Display all floors
A patient wakes up from a coma and asks the doctor if he will be able to play the violin.
The doctor tells him he sees no reason why not.
The patient excitedly proclaims "Great! I never could before."
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-21 03:51:47 |Display all floors
There are several westerners on this very forum who are so delusional and believe they now live in China.
The trouble is, they are even more disillusioned living in their new fantasy land.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-21 03:52:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2014-9-20 12:16

I've heard of people in U.S. who believe they live in a democracy so anything is possible...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-21 04:13:56 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2014-9-20 12:19

I've even heard of people who believe there is fair and balanced media and education in the west.
It takes all kinds..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 09:06:27 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2014-9-21 04:13
I've even heard of people who believe there is fair and balanced media and education in the west. :l ...

Now you're stretching the bounds of credibility.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 09:16:34 |Display all floors
Wow...what could be the explanation?--Of course, not the scientific one, because there is none, but the spiritual one...
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.