Views: 14425|Replies: 53

What do you think Ice Bucket Challenge over the world?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-19 19:10:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by moonshooter at 2014-8-19 22:19

The #IceBucketChallenge is designed to raise much-needed awareness and funds for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. The way the #IceBucketChallenge works is simple: participants are encouraged to pour a bucket of ice water over their head and then challenge others to do the same or make a donation to fight ALS within 24 hours.The activity aims to raise peoples' awareness of this rare disease.

What is intersting is that vindiesel,a famous movie star in America,challenge Obama's wife and Russia's president,Putin!Obama refused to do so in earlier times,so it is time for Putin to prove himself an iron man!

This activity has already spread to China quickly.Many famous stars are chosen by their star friends to take the challenge and then they will put the videos on microblog.Although they accepted the challenge,most of them donated money to ALS.In my eyes,it is an opportunity both for charity purposes and for stars to attract public attention.Since it is a win-win result,why not take it?

Just what is ALS?

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually lead to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-19 19:15:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by moonshooter at 2014-8-19 22:37

Here are some 2 netizens' remarks about Ice Bucket Challenge:

I lost my Dad to ALS about a year and a half ago.

At least for me, I think the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is excellent. I had never heard of ALS before my Dad got it. When he told me the diagnosis, I was actually relieved because I was so happy they had finally figured out what was causing his problems. I was relieved until I asked him how they cure the disease.... then the hard truth began to come out.

The fact that so few people now about the disease shows that more publicity and information being released is important.

Will the Ice Bucket challenge cure ALS? Probably not. Donations are up, however.

Will the Ice bucket challenge create more awareness and help show solidarity with those who have the disease? I think so.Just look at this subreddit. The number of posts have increased considerably since the challenge. People are learning about the disease and that is a good thing.

With the ice bucket challenge, my pessimistic mind has made the jump that there are people who would rather dump ice cold water all over themselves and have it filmed and shared for the world to see than donate money to help work toward a cure or support people with ALS. That's probably too big of a leap, but it's where I am right now. It seems silly to say I'm in favor of the increased awareness and donations, because of course I am! I just hope the message isn't being lost in the silliness and fun of dumping water all over yourself. Also - kudos to the people who are doing the ice water challenge AND donating!

Also - this is just a rant, but a wonderful friend of mine posted a video of herself doing the ice bucket challenge and posted the website of the non-profit that significantly helped my dad. One of her friends commented something like, "so funny that you actually posted a charity - I thought we were all just doing this for the laughs". That stung a little bit, because she actually brought that friend to my dad's memorial service.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-19 19:16:41 |Display all floors
An actress in China:Ye Xuan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-19 19:17:10 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-19 19:17:46 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-19 19:18:48 |Display all floors
QQ截图20140819192213.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-19 19:20:27 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.