Author: liu5222512

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-21 19:30:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by liu5222512 at 2014-8-22 22:51

Chapter 7

It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. The men were hot and sweating.

There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passed--men who could not keep up with their platoons.

They were sweaty, dusty and tired. Some looked pretty bad.那天天气炎热,天空非常明亮青碧,道路干燥得变成白色,满是尘沙。我坐在菲亚特牌汽车的高座上,什么事都不想。士兵们热得汗水直淌。

这一团兵开过好久后,还有些散兵——跟不上队伍的人们。

他们一身是汗和灰尘,十分疲乏。有的看模样很不行。

Then I made out my report in my room, sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now. There was nothing to write about.

我已经好久没写信回美国,心里明知道该写信,只是已经拖了那么长久,现在就是想写,也差不多不晓得该从哪儿写起了。

They were very nice and we had a big evening. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened.他们俩很不错,我们那天晚上玩得好痛快。他们俩个子大,很害臊,忸怩不安,凡事体贴人意。

It did not have anything to do with me. It seemed no more dangerous to me myself than war in the movies.

因为它与我根本就没有什么关系。照我看来,这次战争对我的危险性,就好比是电影中的战争。

The sun was going down and the day was cooling off.

ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. Because we would not wear any clothes because it was so hot and the window open and the swallows flying over the roofs of the houses and when it was dark afterward and you went to the window very small bats hunting over the houses and close down over the trees and we would drink the capri and the door locked and it hot and only a sheet and the whole night and we would both love each other all night in the hot night in Milan. That was how it ought to be. I would eat quickly and go and see Catherine Barkley.

低低地贴着树梢飞,我们喝卡普里酒,

They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was,

饭堂里人们话说得太多。我喝了一点酒,因为我不喝一点的话,人家会说我不够亲热友爱。

I should drink cup for cup and glass for glass with Bassi, Fillipo Vincenza. Bassi said no that was no test because he had already drunk twice as much as I. I said that was a foul lie and, Bacchus or no Bacchus, Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway? He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico? I said let the best man win, Bacchus barred, and the major started us with red wine in mugs. Half-way through the wine I did not want any more. I remembered where I was going.

我得和菲利波·文森柴·巴锡一杯一杯比酒。巴锡说不行,他不能比,他已经比我多喝了一倍啦。我说他撒谎不漂亮,什么巴克斯不巴克斯,菲利波·文森柴·巴锡或是巴锡·菲利波·文森柴今天晚上都没喝过一滴酒,再说,他的姓名究竟怎么叫啊?他说我的姓名究竟是费德里科·恩里科①还是恩里科·费德里科?我说别管他什么巴克斯,比过算数,少校于是拿大杯来倒红酒。比赛到一半,我忽然不干了。我想起我还得去找凯瑟琳。

J started down the driveway. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. I looked back and saw Rinaldi standing watching me and waved to him.

我向车道上走去。车道两旁的松柏,轮廓十分鲜明。我回头望望,看见雷那蒂还站在那儿望着我,便向他招招手。

I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly, I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow.

我走出门,突然觉得寂寞空虚。我本来把来看凯瑟琳当做一件很随便的事,我甚至喝得有点醉了,差不多完全忘掉要来看她了,但是现在我见不到她,心里却觉得寂寞空虚。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-9 21:07:28 |Display all floors
There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. The hall too, that the office opened on, was lined with them. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike.
Sculpture had always seemed a dull business--still, bronzes looked like something. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery. There was one fine cemetery though--the one at Pisa. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. This had been the villa of a very wealthy German and the busts must have cost him plenty. I wondered who had done them and how much he got. I tried to make out whether they were members of the family or what; but they were all uniformly classical. You could not tell anything about them.

办公室的墙边上有许多油漆过的木柱子,上边摆着好些大理石的半身像。甚至办公室外边的门廊上,也有一排排雕像。这些雕像有大理石那种完完整整的品质,看起来千篇一律。
雕刻这玩艺儿我总觉得沉闷——不过,铜像倒还有点道理。但是大理石的半身像,简直就像片坟山。坟山中也有一个好的——在比萨① 的那一个。要看坏的大理石像,最好上热那亚②。这医院本来是某德国大富豪的别墅,这些石像一定花了他不少钱。我倒想知道雕刻师是谁,他赚了多少钱。我看看那些雕像,不晓得是不是属于一个家族的;可惜雕刻得古典一律。多看也看不出什么名堂来。

Use magic tools Report

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.