Views: 4126|Replies: 18

Parents' love should have a limit [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-25 08:54:41 |Display all floors
Lung Ying-Tai ,a famous essayist and cultural critic ,is very influential in both Taiwan and mainland .She has two sons .Her elder son ,Andrew once asked her if he counld not become a successful person like Lung or Lung's husband ,would she feel disappionted .Lung's answer was no .Her definition of a good job is simple and easy .First ,the job gives you time .Second ,the job gives you meaning .That is to say ,if Andrew loves animal ,Lung thinks a zoo keeper is a good job for him .

I have asked the same question to my mother .My mother's answer was yes.I have never doubted my mum's love to me. But if i tell my mum that i want to be a zoo keeper because i love animals she can just be pissed off .She will feel embarassed to tell others what i am doing .Not only my mother ,most chinese parents will have the same feeling if thier children are not good enough among the peers .

The reason lies in chinese parents' understanding of their relationsip with children .They view thier children more as a part of them than independent people .You can easily tell an object is good or bad ,but it is not easy to measure an independent person .They think they are obligated to make thier children perfect but the truth is they should learn how to let them go .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-25 10:14:36 |Display all floors
I agree totally with the whole letting go aspect of parenting. We as parents have the right and duty to raise our childen as best we can. Meaning keeping them healthy happy and safe. Once the children reach adulthood we must allow them to take full control of their own lives. this is my strongest belief
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-25 12:31:29 |Display all floors
Yes. There's a fact it's hard for the parents to control that. So if there's any ideas to help them and their children?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-25 19:16:39 |Display all floors
woerm Post time: 2014-6-25 12:31
Yes. There's a fact it's hard for the parents to control that. So if there's any ideas to help them  ...

life will help them to figure it out ~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 21:48:26 |Display all floors
Many parents think goverment instituions will do ther job
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 22:29:00 |Display all floors
Motika Post time: 2014-6-26 21:48
Many parents think goverment instituions will do ther job

those irresponsible parents~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-26 22:35:21 |Display all floors
Gabrial521 Post time: 2014-6-26 15:29
those irresponsible parents~

Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.