youcoyouco Post time 2013-3-18 10:38:54

Chinese word "吃香的" means "popular" in English, why?

This post was edited by LoneAcorn at 2013-3-18 20:16

In Chinese, "吃香的" refers to "something or someone is popular and in demand".

Do you know why?

We can link this word to "吃香的喝辣的".Literally speaking, this word can be understood as “吃香的 – eat tasty food” and “喝辣的- drink hot Chinese distilled spirit ”. This word can be traced back to ancient China, when Chinese people were generally poor, and food were insuffcient to eat. It happened from time to time that people die from hunger. So with sufficient and tasty food to eat and cups of hot spirit to drink, life would be quite rich and luxurious at that times. Thus, at modern society in China, this word refers to an improved living standard.This is highly expected by people, which is definitely popular.

querist Post time 2013-3-18 21:30:29

As someone who enjoys Hunan food, I am happy to know that 喝辣的 is part of the phrase to mean something is in high demand. :-)

And thank you for posting this phrase. I was not aware of it, so I'll have to be sure to remember it and learn how to use it appropriately. Can you give an example of how you would use that in conversation?

仙圣 Post time 2013-3-19 01:26:57

中文大多数词语都是知道用法就行的了,不用深究它的意思。

youcoyouco Post time 2013-3-19 09:10:46

querist Post time: 2013-3-18 21:30 static/image/common/back.gif
As someone who enjoys Hunan food, I am happy to know that 喝辣的 is part of the phrase to mean somet ...

Actually, in the phrase "吃香的喝辣的", only "吃香的" is left to mean "something or someone is popular and in high demand". And "喝辣的" individually doesn't mean anything, so we don't use it in daily conversation, instead,"吃香的" should be used. Well, another point is that this phrase is not limited in something to eat, but more.

querist Post time 2013-3-19 20:14:17

youcoyouco Post time: 2013-3-18 20:10 static/image/common/back.gif
Actually, in the phrase "吃香的喝辣的", only "吃香的" is left to mean "something or someone is pop ...

OK. I think I get it. Could you please show an example of how it could be used in a conversation?

youcoyouco Post time 2013-3-20 09:05:45

This post was edited by LoneAcorn at 2013-3-20 19:37

querist Post time: 2013-3-19 20:14 static/image/common/back.gif
OK. I think I get it. Could you please show an example of how it could be used in a conversation?
Take an example:
数学家之所以如此吃香,原因在于工作环境舒适、平均年薪近10万美元。
What makes a mathematician so popular are the comfortable working conditions and a nice average annual income of nearly $100000.

Hope I can help.:hug:

querist Post time 2013-3-20 21:19:45

youcoyouco Post time: 2013-3-19 20:05 static/image/common/back.gif
Take an example:
数学家之所以如此吃香,原因在于工作环境舒适、平均年薪近10万美元。
What makes a math ...

金花,谢谢您! That's exactly what I needed! :hug:
Page: [1] 2 3 4
View full version: Chinese word "吃香的" means "popular" in English, why?