LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 18:44:52

Planning to study in China?

Below are some FAQs in the forum regarding studying in China and my advice to each of them.

LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 18:49:34

This post was edited by LoneAcorn at 2012-11-7 08:06

1. I have no basic Mandarin background but I am planning to study in a university in China in the future.

You can start learning basic Mandarin and Pinyin as early as now. Try to go to your current school or university's foreign languages department and inquire if they offer basic Chinese language courses. If they do not offer such courses, you can either take short courses during your free time or weekends in a language school in your area or hire a tutor.
Many schools in different countries now also sponsor summer or winter Chinese study programs. Some bigger universities have courses which includes a year (more or less) of student exchange programs to a university in China as part of the curriculum.

LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 18:54:23

2. Are there any international universities in China?

Yes, there are universities in China that offers English-taught programs for foreign students.

Example courses would be International Business and Trade, a non-degree course offered by an international university in Shanghai or various undergrad and Master's degree programs (ranging from architecture, business journalism to engineering or public administration) offered in various universities in Beijing and other cities in China.

LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 19:01:08

3. I speak a little Mandarin. Can I study in a university in China?

You can. Some universities in China offer one or two years of preparatory Chinese language courses specially catered to foreign students who speak a little Mandarin and have been admitted. The length of the preparatory courses will largely depend on your pace of learning and deviation from your chosen course's pre-requisite HSK level, among others.

LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 19:03:45

This post was edited by LoneAcorn at 2012-11-7 08:08

4. What are the universities in China that offer English-taught Computer Engineering and related programs?

I found some universities that do offer computer related courses but suggest you contact their admin directly for further inquiries and to verify.

South China University of Technology (SCUT; simplified Chinese: 华南理工大学 /  traditional Chinese: 華南理工大學; pinyin: Huánán Lǐgōng Dàxué), located in Guangzhou, offers a 4-year Computer Engineering undergraduate program.
Changsha University of Science & Technology (CSUT; simplified Chinese: 长沙理工大学 / traditional Chinese: 長沙理工大學; pinyin: Chángshā Lǐgōng Dàxué), located in Changsha, Hunan province, offers 4-year undergraduate programs in Electronic Information Engineering and Electrical Engineering & Automation.
Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics (NUAA; simplified Chinese: 南京航空航天大学 / traditional Chinese: 南京航空航天大學; pinyin: Nánjīng Hángkōng Hángtīan Dàxué), located in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, offers a 4-year undergraduate program in Software Engineering.
Qingdao Technological University (QTech; simplified Chinese: 青岛理工大学 / traditional Chinese: 青島理工大學; pinyin: Qīngdǎo Lǐgōng Dàxué), located in Qingdao, Shandong province, offers a 4-year undergraduate program in Computer Science and Technology.

LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 19:12:40

5. Which city in China is the best city to live and study?

Answer will depend on certain factors.

Weather, for one. If you're used to temperate climates, you may choose a university somewhere in northeast China. If you're not used to very cold weather or winter, then choose one in southern part of China where the weather is not that extreme.

A university with many foreign students, perhaps? I've seen many foreign students in universities in Xi'an, Xiamen, Shanghai and Beijing.

Prefer to study in a university with big, quiet, tree-lined campus by the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of city crowd and traffic? An example would be Xiamen University in southern China.

Or one that has very good and comfortable dormitories for foreign students? You can choose to live off or on-campus while studying in China. Some universities even have hotels/flats or dorms/hostels inside campuses or nearby.

Perhaps choose and study in a city where you have relatives or family friends already living or working there.

LoneAcorn Post time 2012-11-6 19:14:13

6. Budget

Studying in China is relatively inexpensive, much cheaper as compared to studying and living in European countries, the U.S., Japan, South Korea, etc.

Annual tuition is about RMB18,000 and above, depending on the undergrad program/ university of choice/ city or province (exclusive of board and accommodation  expenses).

Page: [1] 2
View full version: Planning to study in China?