parcher Post time 2017-3-24 18:28:52

Ratfink Post time: 2017-3-24 18:09 static/image/common/back.gif
It's estimated that there are about 4 million slum dwellers in metro Manila.  Of those probably 10 ...

Truly awful yes

HailChina! Post time 2017-3-24 19:44:18

Ratfink Post time 2017-3-25 13:04:52

HailChina! Post time: 2017-3-24 19:44 static/image/common/back.gif
The Pope told them that Catholics do not have to breed like rabbits didnt he? What does them being ...

Keep on espousing your thoughts, I always need a good laugh.  So na├»ve and so misinformed but even lazy parasites on welfare who have a deluded sense of self-entitlement  (yes there are a few of those) in Australia live better than the poor in 90% of the world.

Ratfink Post time 2017-3-25 13:23:48

parcher Post time: 2017-3-24 18:28 static/image/common/back.gif
Truly awful yes

Sadly the poverty levels in countries like the Philippines are not dropping as the poor keep getting hit with natural disasters that literally put them back in to square one all the time.  It's a horrific vicious cycle they are entrapped in.  No thanks to the Catholic Church for their anti-birth control stance and the fact that the poor have little to no access to health care and higher education or if they do their attendance is sporadic, eg: a semester a year or perhaps every two years due to abject poverty. It's not unknown for many poor Filipo people in the poorer provinces to take 6 to 10 years to complete an undergraduate degree.

It's just as appalling what happens if a Filipino wants to work overseas, they have to pay a hefty (for them) fee to the agents who also charge a hefty fee to the employer.  Many of the maids for example are mistreated and have to endure horrific living and working conditions which often include being raped (around 30% of maids are thought to be raped by their employers) or beaten, in some cases the beatings are so bad that the maid dies or commits suicide to escape the violence. Withholding pay, or extortionate accommodation costs in a couple of countries add to the misery. I've seen first hand how many "guest workers" live in Dubai for example. It's frequently 8-10 to a bedroom and as many in the lounge room, all being charged upwards of 60-70% of their salary for such living conditions.

When the contract expires, it's home they go and then restart the entire cycle over again.  

parcher Post time 2017-3-25 16:26:35

Ratfink Post time: 2017-3-25 13:23 static/image/common/back.gif
Sadly the poverty levels in countries like the Philippines are not dropping as the poor keep getti ...

Yes I read a few stories similar in HongKong. Maids treated like slaves, but their income is what keeps their families alive back in the philipinnes, so they have to accept it.
I have not head the president Duterte address the povery situation either since being elected, only interested in self promotion wityh his war on drugs..

HailChina! Post time 2017-3-25 16:37:54

Ratfink Post time 2017-3-25 17:24:00

parcher Post time: 2017-3-25 16:26 static/image/common/back.gif
Yes I read a few stories similar in HongKong. Maids treated like slaves, but their income is what  ...

Dutere is just another corrupt leader in a long list of self aggrandising politicians and it could be argued he's a lightweight when it comes to self promotion.

Sadly you're right with the HK situation though most maids there are in good hands compared to Dubai, the KSA, and Malaysia who are probably 3 of the worst offenders for mistreatment of Filipino maids and construction workers.
Page: 1 2 3 [4] 5
View full version: Poor single dad orders fried chicken for daughters but starve himself