futsanglung Post time 2014-7-7 08:51:21

Marriage market or cattle market

This post was edited by futsanglung at 2014-7-8 11:31

Yesterday I was on my way to Shanghai Museum and when I came out of the Metro Station at Peoples Square I decided to cut through Peoples Park which proved to be a mistake.

The place was packed, but not with people enjoying the first sunny day in Shanghai for a while, it was packed with parents and matchmakers trying to match up couples all based on a few lines written on a piece of paper.

The young ( and sometimes not so young ) prospective marriage partners were nowher to be seen, just their parents sitting there with their list of requirements for the partner they want for their precious offspring.

To me this seems a very odd practice, why can people not find their own partner? What happened to romance? Would you trust your parents to find the person with whom you will spend the rest of your life? Does this happen only in China?

robert237 Post time 2014-7-8 11:21:46

From your post I gather the following.

Peoples Park. The place was packed, packed with parents with a piece of paper.

piece of paper with prospective parriage partners.  parents partner for precious offspring.

Quite a day in your imagination.
I do have one question though.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked?

futsanglung Post time 2014-7-8 11:30:31

robert237 Post time: 2014-7-8 11:21 static/image/common/back.gif
From your post I gather the following.

Peoples Park. The place was packed, packed with parents with ...

I have onle one thing to say, pog off.

Maybe you can find wifey number 3 there.

onceaknight Post time 2014-7-8 14:35:45

See 'Archimedes ' is still at his work. Anyway for the more interlectual person who may have interest, in the topic, I myself was walking in Zhongshan Park, Hankou Wuhan last weekend,  When I noticed the large gathering of 'Looking for Love' individuals, either for themselves, son or daughter. Standing back and taking a swift mental note, my guess was there was approximately 500-600 people in attendance. Many of whom even dressed smartly for the occasion. Students, middle aged and the older generation, that of course was nothing compered to the amount of individual paper advertising, clothes line after clothes line of photos, phone numbers, self analysis of individual competing to sell themsleves.. The amount of people who were actually exchanging information was unbelievable some hand handfuls of information. Not sure if it's the correct approach however many seem to be enjoying the adrenaline rush.

KCH Post time 2014-7-8 16:30:21

As far as I know,the older one is ,the more he or she has trouble finding love,which is why parents want theirs to get married as soon as possible.Well......,if I weren't married,I would join them.:lol

Cdogg Post time 2014-7-8 16:30:39

I seen how my parents relationship fell apart, so there is no way I would let them do this

futsanglung Post time 2014-7-8 19:08:23

Kbay Post time: 2014-7-8 18:52 static/image/common/back.gif
It is the absence of traditional matchmakers in Asian cities like Hong Kong, Singapore and those in  ...

And what do you call an aging spinster? Maybe these ladies have not got married as the men on offer are just not up to scratch
Page: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
View full version: Marriage market or cattle market