Views: 20215|Replies: 11

Chinese principal sacked over back-to-school pole dance [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-9-6 13:58:34 |Display all floors
1.jpg

(From cbsnews.com)An image taken from video posted on Twitter by Michael Standaert on Sept. 2, 2018, shows a pole dancer performing during a back-to-school ceremony at the Xinshahui Kindergarten in Shenzhen, China

BEIJING -- A kindergarten principal in China trying to liven up a formal back-to-school ceremony with a racy pole dancer was fired after angry parents lit up social media with complaints. Like most schools across China, the Xinshahui Kindergarten in the southern city of Shenzhen marks the start of the school year with a ceremony, usually consisting of performances and speeches.

But Monday's edition, which included the risque pole dance, cost principal Lai Rong her job.

Videos circulating on social media showed a scantily-clad dancer in hot pants shimmying up and down a pole to thumping music as stunned children in marching band uniforms looked on.

Others tried to mimic the sultry moves, with several small boys gyrating their hips and dancing around each other. In the background, shocked parents could be heard commenting about the suitability of the performance.

Many took to social media to express their outrage, threatening to pull their children out of school and calling for Lai's resignation.

"Pole dancing at a school welcome ceremony? How can I trust my children with them? I'm going to pull my kid out and ask for a refund," one parent wrote on social media platform WeChat.

"Is the principal an idiot?" another commented on the Twitter-like site Weibo.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-6 14:01:01 |Display all floors
1.jpg

Michael Standaert, an American ex-pat whose child goes to the school, tweeted on Monday that when his wife called to complain, the principal defended the show by saying pole dancing was an international phenomenon, and "good exercise."

In a text message to parents, Lai apologised for the "horrific viewing experience" and for not checking the dancer's performance, adding that the dance was intended to liven up the atmosphere.

Hours later, local education authorities announced they had fired the principal and put Xinshahui under investigation.

"Other schools in the district should reflect on this incident and strictly uphold education standards," the Bao'an education bureau said in a statement.

"I may as well be dead. I already lost the hope to live," Lai told state-run tabloid the Global Times.

This was just one of several incidents in a shaky start to the Chinese school year.

Over the weekend, parents complained that a television programme deemed mandatory viewing by state educators on Saturday night included 12 minutes of advertisements, mostly promoting online tutoring courses and stationery sales.

Earlier the same day, police arrested 46 people in central Hunan province after hundreds gathered to express dissatisfaction with the local school system.

According to posts on social media, parents were incensed when they were told they would have to move their children into dormitories at a local private school, dramatically increasing tuition fees.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-7 06:42:24 |Display all floors
Michael Standaert, what a A HOLE. The principal just want to entertain the parents especially the dad's before the school year start.
Human lives mean little when those in the WEST see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-7 10:35:10 |Display all floors
Lai derserved it, pole dancing in scanty clothes is bad example for impressionable kids.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-9-7 10:48:13 |Display all floors
Lai can apply for job at kfc now
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-9-7 11:43:26 |Display all floors
The only thing I remember about kindergarten was finger painting.
If they had a young girl pole dancing I'm sure I would have remembered that too.
Now if they combined the two I'm really, really sure I would remember that.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-9 23:29:03 |Display all floors
1626548377 Post time: 2018-9-7 06:42
Michael Standaert, what a A HOLE. The principal just want to entertain the parents especially the da ...

What an irresponsible comment to make. Meanwhile, the principal of that school has been sacked. Do you want to condole him?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.