Views: 14961|Replies: 27

Who am I in Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-1 09:12:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-6-1 10:41

In English the shape of the word ‘I’ is more funny than others: It looks like you stand firmly with big feet touching on the ground and  your straight figure can hold up the sky with the wise head! ----------This is one of few English words which can compete with our Chinese characters as hieroglyphic!  In ancient China, people used 吾(wu)to represent ‘I’: which top part 五 is the number ‘five’ and the bottom component is 口 that means ‘hole’. ---------- Yes, the five holes in the face including two eyes and two noseholes and mouth are enough to identify who you are!--------It seems that our ancestors were quite confident with the judgement of their sharp eyes, and 語 (speaking)tells us that our words must come from the bottom of our heart! -----------In china our children are forced to repeat and memorize others‘ words without real  comprehension!
The modern word 我 is more practical which is composed with 'hand' (手)and ‘sword-like weapon’(戈) with the two parts share the same horizon line. ----------We always have some tool for fighting or working!

If 吾 hints oral teaching on science theory, the 我 may tell you to do more tests for technology!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-1 13:16:49 |Display all floors
In china our children are forced to repeat and memorize others‘ words without real  comprehension!

Just a short comment: Chinese pupils even memorise entire sentences that may be totally wrong but are the only ones their teachers accept. For instance, a teacher may ask his pupils to memorise a sentence such as "I am ... years old."

An intelligent being would insert his or her true age where I left dots (...), but in China this is discouraged. Instead, the pupils must repeat the most inane and possibly untrue statement such as "I am 66 years old" (when the pupil possibly is 12).

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-1 13:17:28 |Display all floors
"china" really should be "China", SEARU!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 13:32:10 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-1 13:16
Just a short comment: Chinese pupils even memorise entire sentences that may be totally wrong but  ...

Thanks for your reminding that I have repeated the same spelling error on 'China' while the word china means one kind of bowl-like material (porcelain)!
In primary school that was uneasy to grasp the word 我 since the teacher taught it without construction-analysis and we had to swallow it down as a whole! ----------I believe that too many fellow Chinese friend can not recognize it as two-part-character!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-1 13:43:52 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-1 13:16
Just a short comment: Chinese pupils even memorise entire sentences that may be totally wrong but  ...

The exam-oriented teaching managing mood drives teachers and students work in a unusual way who are addicted to ‘drugs’! ------------'repeating‘ on sums and words has cost a lot for the real progress of our nation!

For another question on grammar:
ABOUT:“'hand' (手)and ‘sword-like weapon’(戈) with the two parts share the same horizon line. ----------”
If I make some change to the sentence above:
'hand' (手)and ‘sword-like weapon’(戈) with the two parts sharing the same horizon line. ----------

Can you tell the difference?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-2 09:08:01 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-6-1 13:43
The exam-oriented teaching managing mood drives teachers and students work in a unusual way who ar ...

The tests and exams are the LESSER problem. They wouldn't do any harm except to waste precious time and resources. No, the real problem is the mindless rote-learning.

Learning by rote kills imagination. Learning by rote kills initiative. Learning by rote is counterproductive.

You can never learn a second language by rote. Learning a language is not learning words. It's learning to think, and think in a distinct medium.

I sincerely and increasingly believe that Chinese education officials actively seek to thwart this learning process. They know that learning Russian by rote or learning English by rote is wrong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-2 10:05:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-2 09:08
The tests and exams are the LESSER problem. They wouldn't do any harm except to waste precious tim ...

"Learning by rote kills imagination. Learning by rote kills initiative. Learning by rote is counterproductive. "--------Learning by rote kills imagination, initiative and productivity! ------

In Chinese your repeating is appreciated as a kind of good expressing of strong feeling about something on grammar. But in English it is rare to appear!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.