Views: 44708|Replies: 23

What is wrong with Chinese education on language? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-5-1 06:51:14 |Display all floors
First I admit that Searu is not language expert as Seneca claimed in his comment to my thread <How to treat Chinese poems?>. In general, why is China backward on education? I think one of the bottom reasons should be the language-problem that has troubled us so bitterly for a long time! And without notice?

I am travelling from the village to the city. Now I see my little grand-kid is visiting the outside world with few ‘words’ she could speak as tour-guide certainly she also has her own  thinking in special way! Human kinds view the physical world through eye-sense plus language-logical-judgement.  We should use plain oral words to explore the unknown in natural way! -------------But what going on in Chinese schooling-field is quite different from the description above!

Try ro use simple words for teaching and communication in daily life that is essential to the success of our education!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-1 07:17:55 |Display all floors
China had experienced the Great Culture-Revolution through which Chinese have changed a lot on writing-style. ------------Before that all articles were quite hard for ordinary citizens to understand!

But now I wonder if our current textbooks are simple enough  for children to accept?

In language class, students are forced to repeat famous poems or flowery idioms without endless while they have little time for their own thinking-business!------------Language is learn to think that should become sharp spade for kids to dig hole for possible gold  underground
and our training-lessons should let children freely use the tool for the 'labor-work'! -----------It is a pity and failure when you see their compositions always go with empty words copied from others' works!   

Try ro use simple words for teaching and communication in daily life that is essential to the success of our education!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-1 07:36:46 |Display all floors
Furthermore, many of our science books are written in strange way if compared with the foreign ones. Chinese ‘scientists’ explain foreign invention in curved way with extra words that might waste your time to grasp the original meaning! ----------------It seems that the limited Chinese vocabulary could not deal with the vast English one!------------I think we teachers should tell foreign stories in more workable way! -------------------An engineer must make up a practical plan for the project. -------------For this reason I appreciate the engineer‘ lecture more rather than the one by the university professor!’

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-1 11:55:41 |Display all floors
I had posted one blog titled 《The language obstacles for Chinese  students》: Our kids usually face many difficulties on communication: The local dialect, the standard Mandarin and ancient poems, the oral words and the written ones, mother language and English, special science terms translated from foreign nations, and so on. --------------Their foreign counterparts do not have such extra troubles!

For this reason, sometime I wonder if China needs a revolution on language that would make Chinese language become more powerful in work efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-1 14:14:41 |Display all floors
Schooling would be like building a house in the air if without language! --------------Our speaking-and-writing style would account a lot for the success of our education!  We must pay more attention to the texts and lectures given to the students which must go in more logical way!  Let children think briefly and do homework smartly with their own head!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-5-1 22:21:13 |Display all floors
Chinese system expects most of people to march in the same direction, in the same pattern, and in the same beat. Only few may deviate from that to make their own dance.

Most countries have been through similar phase, but it has not worked for lot in long run.

Difference between Chinese and foreign education is mainly about how much individualism is allowed.

For example in relation to school bullying, in my home country the principle to reduce this is to teach children that every person is different (in many ways) and that these differences are not only to be tolerated but respected.

China may employ a different strategy.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-5-1 22:34:31 |Display all floors
Facts are facts in the scientific world.
If you want to delve into the arts then you are free to express whatever you want.
But science is where the most measurable development is from an economic perceptive.
The arts will always be open to interpretation.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.