Views: 86323|Replies: 70

China should update her software to the machine of education [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-14 12:53:28 |Display all floors
As a teacher, I feel happy to see that the government has increased investment on school-building or re-construction. Everywhere you could see beautiful school-yard with tall buildings inside which there are modern computers and other equipments for experiments. ----------It seems that is easy to update the hardware of education! But how about our software for schooling?
The machine of our education is not as advanced as the foreign one! --------------It would be a permanent topic about what and how is taught in classroom!  How to efficiently turn kids into robots with powerful  thinking ability as well as living technique? How to organize the teaching process and evaluate teachers' working results in a scientific way?
I think China should learn from foreigners on the education-management as just what we have have done in the industry field! We must operate the schooling-machine with new set of software!
For an example: How to explain what water is to kids of different ages?
I could imagine Chinese teachers would do the same job quite differently from our foreign countparts! ----------Method and path determine the fate!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-14 15:42:32 |Display all floors

I am not so impressed by "beautiful school buildings" because inevitably, they are still under construction when the first semester starts. And these buildings are constructed to last just a few decades.

But you are right, they do represent a certain "progress". However, there is so much that needs improving it would fill a hefty book to retell.

Why not begin with the curricula?

And how many pupils are taught in one class?

The curricula are designed to meet politically and ideologically perceived needs. These needs ignore human needs. Learners deserve a warm, cosy environment. Do they find that in a school?

And class sizes are three to two times the size we tolerate in the West. A class with more than 25 pupils is overcrowded.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-14 15:43:08 |Display all floors
I wonder how long it will take for my reply to show, or if it will be withheld...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-14 16:25:28 |Display all floors
OK, my post has been suppressed. Why?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-14 16:26:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-14 16:25
OK, my post has been suppressed. Why?

I said that new gleaming school buildings seldom meet the hopes of learners. Most "modern buildings" require after-sales service work, which comes with great noise and pollution.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-14 16:29:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-14 16:26
I said that new gleaming school buildings seldom meet the hopes of learners. Most "modern buildi ...

But far more importantly, what are new teaching buildings worth when the curricula are outdated? China badly needs curricula that meet modern expectations. The current curricula have been designed by functionaries who think in political and ideological categories not in human ones. The curricula meet planned-economy objectives but not the hopes and aims of people.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-14 16:30:51 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-14 16:29
But far more importantly, what are new teaching buildings worth when the curricula are outdated? ...

Even in the most modern school building, the pupils get crammed into small cubicles with poor ventilation, poor natural lighting and hopelessly tight spaces.

Will China ever reduce class sizes? A class with more than 25 pupils is crowded. That's not a good way to teach and to learn.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.