Views: 22437|Replies: 86

How could Chinese compete with American on education? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-3-19 15:59:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-3-19 16:02

I have noticed the Minister of the Education  Department had a press-conference where he made wonderful speech on schooling job.  But I don't think his words could touch the bottom of my heart! At least he didn't mention the problem that I have concerned for a long time!  If I were in his position, I would speak in another tone about how to educate kids for the future!
Here I want to ask Mr. Chen, if there is an education-war between American and Chinese, how would you to deal with? Are you sure your teacher-solders could win the battle with the present textbooks as weapon?  Could your culture-army defeat the enemy with advanced working-style?  -----------
Or let me express my idea in a gentle way:How many gold-medals  would Chinese win in the Olympic Eduction Games?
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-19 18:49:23 |Display all floors
Going forward and taking a phrase from the medical profession - do no harm.

Ergo, don't change things for the sake of changing.

And if searu is facing resistance to 'her' ideas, maybe the first question to be answered is why is 'she' facing resistance? Is it because 'her' suggestions are not workable in the present environment? Or is it because gatekeepers of the education profession do not want to see big changes to old ways when old ways have worked so far so 'good', at least in their minds? Maybe the fear is change of measures of success. Example, how does one measure success in a student's creativity? The questions, and thus textbooks, will have to be changed. But most of all the teaching methods. And therefore the re-training of the teachers. That is a big job and if not done properly, some will succeed but others will fail and then lay blame on lack of support and resources. But meanwhile, the students will still have to learn and signify they have reached a standard. But what be the new 'standard'?

The change journey is long and may be perilous. Carefully take one step at a time.

Likewise the China film industry... ()

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-19 20:44:27 |Display all floors

Many years back I taught at a college using a U.S. American textbook. One lesson was about U.s. American education. There are, of course, many small features that characterise U.S. American school life as distinct from school life anywhere else, but one claim made in that text had a powerful impression on me: It ran something like "...to us U.S. Americans, education is a kind of RELIGION. We pursue it throughout our lives."

That is an attitude radically different from the Chinese one. To a U.S. American there essentially never is a justification to end his or her education. It is a lifelong processus.

It shows for example in how even 50-year-olds may go back to university to pursue another degree.

But the Chinese think of education as a chore. You do it because it is expected of you, and you can be expected to accept education in a young age. It is for children, not for adults. It is a way of displacing playtime and sports. The message is: Playing and doing sports is childish, unseemly, not serious. You must kill your time or go to work and earn a living.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-20 17:01:21 |Display all floors
okra Post time: 2018-3-19 18:49
Going forward and taking a phrase from the medical profession - do no harm.

Ergo, don't change thin ...

Thanks for your meaningful comment. Sorry for the relayed reply due to my busy work!
On one hand, china has splendid history culture that is worth for our introducing to the world. On the other hand, Chinese have learned a lot from foreigners on agriculture, industry where great changes have taken place.  ------------But we are not satisfied with what going on in schooling field: The  textbooks are not as plain as the foreign ones those are taught for unreasonable exams instead of to improving thinking ability! ---------Let me say that we are working in strange way that has wasted us too much time and energy with poor results!

Yes, it is difficult to change social trend and public traditional concept! --------Searu is too weak to pull down the running cattle!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-20 17:25:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-3-19 20:44
Many years back I taught at a college using a U.S. American textbook. One lesson was about U.s. Am ...

You do think with your cerebellum.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-3-20 19:05:09 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-3-20 17:01
Thanks for your meaningful comment. Sorry for the relayed reply due to my busy work!
On one hand,  ...

Yet China has shone at the math and science olympiad competitions. Maybe it was all drilling but then again how does one drill and score if one does not know the subject matter well enough from using local textbooks?

What the educationists can do (or they might already have done) is to study the similarities and differences between widely used textbooks at each level but from different countries in order to flesh out the strengths and weaknesses of each. Then strengths to adapt and weaknesses to avoid for any new versions of local textbooks for the same level. By level, i don't mean the age of the student because China students are more advanced by about three years ahead of foreign students of the same age in what they learn.

When i was in school, i spent my breaks reading a small dictionary, word after word, to appreciate the precision and brevity of the sentences explaining the meaning of the word. In math class, i didn't use the teacher's method but straight-away developed my own proof. Likewise in science class, i devised my own experiment to show something. And in university, i searched the library until i found the journal article that clarified how the final intricate equation was derived that was used for the experiment. I did that because i did not believe in just receiving something without question; i was curious to know how to derive that funny-looking equation whose use gave consistently simple results.

So maybe, the first ingredients, at least for me then, were (a) curiosity, (b) confidence, (c) initiative, and (d) what i will describe as logical creativity.

Now the question is whether these four (and more) properties can be applied to any and all subjects. After looking deep into most if not all subjects, i believe the answer is yes because, frankly, i think all subjects can be reduced to just about two dozen principles of thinking, whether you are talking about math or science or engineering or medicine or psychology, literature, economics, geography, history, sociology, anthropology, politics, arts and crafts, music, languages, religions, philosophy. Whatever.  Each breakthrough or change is like a subnet from the last node but with a twist out from the background present all along.

So much so these days i catch concepts too fast and lose interest deadpan. I assure you it is not something you want to experience. For it removes the ability to wonder. Wondering about things and events gives one a kick in life, infuses energy to go on. Wonderment is a wonderful property to have.

The only thing i am curious at this moment is why did CD omit my last response to your post where i named a particular textbook and also mentioned that since the Chinese mindset is rooted in the land, the key challenge in education is how to move from what one can hold in the hand to what one can imagine in the brain. I even narrated my experience with f=m*a. Now, i am curious why the post was omitted. In any case,  I already lose interest in trying to understand CD's objectives, staff organization and posts processing.

The Chinese are simply too practical-minded.  Yet they can write T'ang poetry, excel in calligraphy and other arts, and come out with universal philosophical truths.  

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-3-20 21:01:49 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2018-3-20 17:25
You do think with your cerebellum.

You seem to be believing that your parabellum can think for you...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.