Views: 8243|Replies: 5

What is 'walking' in Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-3 10:50:26 |Display all floors
There are too many funny stories with the Chinese character 走(walking), here I would like share them with reader-friends for the upcoming spring-festival!

The top of 走 is 土(tu) which original meaning is ‘earth’ or 'dust'. But here 土 should refer to ‘one person on the ground‘ since the ‘+' may represent ‘one man’ while the bottom ‘‘一' is the ground.  ---------Another related character is 老 (an old man):  One man(土)whose arm(the middle tilt stroke) holds one sword (匕).  (The knife is not weapon but symbol for power or social status.

If you take away the ‘+’from 走, the remaining would be as same  as the lower part of 是: which represents your two legs with one foot stepping forward.

(Another explaining to 走 is:   When you walk, some dust would be blown up from the ground. The modern micro-camera could help you see the phenomenon.  Chinese often use the idiom ‘风尘仆仆’to describe the hardship of  the journey:the wind blows dust around you on the path. Maybe this is the earlist complain on air pollution!

All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-3 11:08:10 |Display all floors
A lot of Chinese words have some relation with 走!  Such as 达, 远 近 过 etc.
Do you belive that these characters have one  common part which is the changed shape of 走。We call it as ‘walking-character-component'. ----------Which top dot come from the + of 土 ; the remaining looks like '3 plus a horizon stroke that is the simple  form of your two legs and feet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-3 11:19:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-2-3 11:41

Please let me say that too many fellow Chinese-friends take the ‘walking-component’ as a whole without detailed construction analysis!  Its shape looks like 之(going)which top dot is man and the remaining is the curved path。’

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 11:33:23 |Display all floors
It is so strange!-----------------
This thread had been viewed 29 times before deleted by the editor. I had been in low mood for the failure and comforted myself with the reason the article was finished in a hurry with my colleague‘s computer!  To my surprise, the scription has appeared before me on the screen! -----------------I am sorry for that there maybe many un-ripe sayings in it.

I wish foreign friends would become more interested in Chinese language through reading my writings. ----------I enjoy the work!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 11:45:14 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-2-3 11:08
A lot of Chinese words have some relation with 走!  Such as 达, 远 近 过 etc.
Do you belive that t ...

You may take the top part as man's head or the main-part of the body!  This explaining is useful for you to improve handwriting when you truly understand the meaning of the shape of one certain character!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-5 23:12:13 |Display all floors
In ancient Chinese, 走 meant ‘running’ while 步 was ‘walking’,the shape of the ‘walking component’ could show that someone is running in a hurry!  You may sense such atmosphere  through 达 in which 大 is big man(人) with arms stretching out who is running, 达 means ‘get to'!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.