Views: 14359|Replies: 14

Chinese students need more practical English! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-15 11:14:04 |Display all floors
Life needs language that is why kids could learn mother language with ease. However our textbooks are produced in written words and strict exams require children to remember some notes without one-word-error. The content of the current English textbooks are far away from the reality. ( --------------Chinadaily is more closer to what we think about that is why it has been magnet to me for so many years!)
I think it is necessary for us to re-edit our English-textbook with more practical articles. 

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-20 08:53:01 |Display all floors
I think no other written books could be compared to dictionary.  I have been hooked with Internet dictionaries which could  offer you colorful explaining to some new word. I feel like as if I visit the Great Museum of English Language through which you could could learn too much! ----------I do wish fellow Chinese friends would produce such wonder book for our nation in future!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-2-10 16:59:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-2-10 06:48

A few weeks ago someone was asking for recommendations on a good book written in English to read.

One of my favorites is "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
by Mark Twain (pen name of Samuel Langhorne Clemens)

I didn't respond to the post because this book was first published in 1884 and the story took place
about 40 to 50 years earlier which was before the US civil war.
The language is full of slang and words which are no tolerated in today's America.

The word n*gger has been replaced by "minories" and the term wet back has been replaced by "illegals".
Other than that there are still the same prejudices in America today.

Major themes include the following: (from wikipedia)
By the way, Jim is a runaway slave that Huckleberry Finn befriends on his journey in this book.
---------
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn explores themes of race and identity. A complexity exists concerning Jim's character. While some scholars point out that Jim is good-hearted, moral, and he is not unintelligent (in contrast to several of the more negatively depicted white characters), others have criticized the novel as racist, citing the use of the word "n*gger" and emphasizing the stereotypically "comic" treatment of Jim's lack of education, superstition and ignorance.

Throughout the story, Huck is in moral conflict with the received values of the society in which he lives, and while he is unable to consciously refute those values even in his thoughts, he makes a moral choice based on his own valuation of Jim's friendship and Jim's human worth, a decision in direct opposition to the things he has been taught. Mark Twain, in his lecture notes, proposes that "a sound heart is a surer guide than an ill-trained conscience" and goes on to describe the novel as "...a book of mine where a sound heart and a deformed conscience come into collision and conscience suffers defeat".

To highlight the hypocrisy required to condone slavery within an ostensibly moral system, Twain has Huck's father enslave his son, isolate him, and beat him. When Huck escapes – which anyone would agree was the right thing to do – he then immediately encounters Jim "illegally" doing the same thing. The treatment both of them receive are radically different especially with an encounter with Mrs. Judith Loftus who takes pity on who she presumes to be a runaway apprentice, Huck, yet boasts about her husband sending the hounds after a runaway slave, Jim.
---------

Still, you can learn a lot about the US from this book. Much if it still holds true today.
Those who have been successfully indoctrinated in the American way of life hold unbounded contempt
for communism and worship the rich capitalists who they serve.
To be fair, the successfully indoctrinated know nothing about communism as witnessed in the China Daily forum.
We know who they are.

Fortunately some of us from the west have been able to refute those "values". Not near enough though.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 20:05:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2018-2-10 20:06
robert237 Post time: 2018-2-10 16:59
A few weeks ago someone was asking for recommendations on a good book written in English to read.

O ...

To me, the foreign book 《new concept english》is good for Chinese learners which could tell a wonderful story with each text! -----------I have spent years on listening to english-broadcasting:I felt drunk with the music-like sound from the Voice of America although sometimes I could not fully follow them since they were talking about what happened abroad!  It was easy for me to understand our own broadcasting from the Rdio Beijing! ---------The future textbooks should have more business with dailylife that would easily catch kids' attention and light their  interest that is important for learning efficiency!
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-18 08:04:59 |Display all floors
SEARU,

I appreciate some of your posts and am glad you take such an inordinate interest in the English language. But I have to point out to you that some of your beliefs are not correct.

A child does not learn his or her mother tongue "easily". Just watch parents of a newborn communicate with their child! It is a struggle!

The child learns very slowly. After two years, his or her vocabulary may list a few dozen words and phrases, many of which disfigured. For example: the parents and the child simplify the word "mother" to "mama". Child's language will accompany the young learner until he or she goes to school where a more formal version of the child's mother tongue gets taught.

Only after the child has been weaned off his mother's breasts does it explore the world and learn to name objects. Later, the child learns to express actions. The nouns that describe physical objects are the easiest to learn; the actions need a lot of analysis.

So it is not altogether wrong to put schoolchildren through the process of learning their own language with the hep of textbooks. These help the children to develop analytical skills.

Analytical skills are needed to understand grammar rules, especially if you are learning a second language.

To internalise these grammar rules, I recommend reading fiction, not "Internet dictionaries". A new learner of a language needs to get the feel for the target language. That, in my opinion, is badl neglected in China. Hence almost nobody learns good English.  

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-18 08:08:42 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-1-20 08:53
I think no other written books could be compared to dictionary.  I have been hooked with Internet di ...

Why compare books to dictionaries? Dictionaries compare to dictionaries, not to manuals, not to Bibles, not to storybooks.

SEARU, it is not the first time I am telling you that dictionaries play too big a role in your life. You should give your mind a rest (and the dictionaries as well) and let it roam the fields of fiction. You should read English to improve your English. How better do that than by reading for entertainment and fun? Your dictionaries are boring, and in many a case you pick up a wrong instruction (as I have pointed out to you before).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-18 08:11:00 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-1-20 08:53
I think no other written books could be compared to dictionary.  I have been hooked with Internet di ...

Dictionaries give you static definitions, not fascinating explanations, of things. If you really want to learn something in-depth, you better read a piece in The CHristian Science Monitor, the Reader's Digest, TIME magazine or any publication you might care to browse through regularly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.