Views: 686|Replies: 8

Has technology ruined handwriting? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-12 09:27:48 |Display all floors

According to the Guardian, the increasing illegibility of students’ handwriting has prompted Cambridge University to consider ending 800 years of tradition by allowing laptops to replace pen and paper for exams. Academics say that students are losing the ability to write by hand en masse because of their reliance on laptops in lectures and elsewhere.This sparks the question - how important is handwriting in today's digital age? Do children still need handwriting skills?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-12 10:11:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by markwu at 2017-9-12 10:35

In another hundred years, robotics will embed in every facet of human activity to make arms become vermiform appendages like the appendix.

Indeed, my handwriting was neat and legible but that was long ago. Now looking at it distresses me to no end. I also find difficulty writing anything. All this because of hour after hour on the keyboard every day in a digital prison of my own creation in pursuit of mining the entire world wide web for nuggets of information, gems of ideas, crystals of insights.

It remains this topic has triggered some questions:

- since doctors are generally known to have very poor handwriting, what is going through their heads in steps one by one as they make diagnosis and prognosis of their patients just one second before writing their recommendations down on the therapy sheet?

- since one day all this computing automation will come to the stage where people can't write legibly anymore, will industry invent a device that plugs the computer to the brainwave and just as a person thinks of something, the computer screen will translate his thought and display it as (a) a sentence, (b) a diagram, (c) a series of equations, and/or (d) a new hybrid representation of a thought that is beyond the 01 binary?

A good example is to figure out what is going on inside the mind of the string theorist of physics when s.he delves into the intricacies of 11-dimension space to seek out a unified theory of matter.

Because by reducing that huge challenge back to the level of students learning and lecturers teaching and authors writing, we may get a new way of teaching and therefore learning.

Then the new challenge of learning is how to teach students to (a) construct full sentences, (b) derive equations, (c) model diagrams, and (d) others ...all in the head without touching a pencil or a keyboard. And in a smooth way without the need for mental editing.

In a nutshell, to think complete in the mind first before anything else.   That's the challenge. (i think).

Meanwhile i can imagine how hard it is to use the keyboard to answer a maths or other discipline question or to draw a diagram or picture because it takes a longer time than writing to type out the answers. It's not like students can work like transcriptors or people who type math, science journal articles for a living and with time to spare.  Therefore, maths and science standards will suffer if this keeps on going, don't you think so too?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-12 16:13:06 |Display all floors
In my opinion .. writing help remember ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-12 21:27:03 |Display all floors
Ah, if it was only the handwriting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-13 10:18:11 |Display all floors
Handwriting is very important in life. Good handwriting is enjoyable!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-13 17:15:34 |Display all floors
What worries me more is the better technology that allows text and messages to be sent verbally. Dictated speech to a computer... no need for any writing or typing at all! As with calculators, no electricity.... plunged into the dark ages!
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-13 21:11:39 |Display all floors
Dracarys Post time: 2017-9-12 16:13
In my opinion .. writing help remember ..

That is correct.

\Those who don't learn to write Chinese characters continually forget what they look like and thus can ill read them.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.