Views: 5151|Replies: 65

What does the Belt and Road Initiative mean to you?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-5-10 09:45:17 |Display all floors
China will host the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing on May 14-15. Heads of state and government leaders from 28 countries are expected to take part in the two-day forum. First proposed by China, the OBOR initiative is meant to bring countries together for joint projects, investment and shared opportunities. But many Western critics have viewed it as China's plan to expand its sphere of influence. What does the Belt and Road Initiative mean to you? What changes will it bring to your country and the world at large?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-5-10 10:15:34 |Display all floors
But many Western critics have viewed it as China's plan to expand its sphere of influence. What does the Belt and Road Initiative mean to you? What changes will it bring to your country and the world at large?

I am astonished by this claim of yours. Some Western commentators have likened it to the U.S. Marshal plan no more.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-5-10 14:01:39 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-5-10 10:15
I am astonished by this claim of yours. Some Western commentators have likened it to the U.S. Mars ...

It is understandable that some are sceptical about China's intentions, given the fact that some countries don't know if they will actually benefit from OBOR. As a number of countries are already investing in OBOR infrastructure,  the initiative could transform China and the participating countries into a very large economic entity that can rival NAFTA/EU.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-10 14:12:10 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2017-5-10 14:01
It is understandable that some are sceptical about China's intentions, given the fact that some co ...

There is, however, suspicion among people all over Eurasia about China's real intentions. they are not as pure as you would have it.

One only needs to remember that China sucked Central Asia into its Shanghai military cooperation alliance.
The S.C.O. has existed now for ca. ten years while the economic infrastructure construction is a new brainchild that probably has its origin in the U.S.A.'s attempts at pacifying Afghanistan and at connecting Central Asia to the Persian Gulf and the Black Sea via oil pipelines. For exampleTurkmenistan can thus export its oil to Pakistan and Turkey.

Finally, the Chinese have rivals in Russia. The trains that run between Duisburg, London or Rotterdam and China all transit territories of the former Soviet Union. The Russians thereforeare upgrading their railway network too. They do not want to miss out on the opportunity to cash in on the goods transportbetween Europe and the Far East.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-12 04:35:36 |Display all floors
China and Japan lead the Asian countries in technological development. Japan is a small island nation; but China is the number two World Power. It is natural for China to lead Asia. It can be a "constructive leader" with this plan.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-14 08:26:12 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-5-12 04:35
China and Japan lead the Asian countries in technological development. Japan is a small island natio ...

Japan is a "small country"?????

It is about five times as populous as small Canada. Do you still consider that a "small country"???

And it has the world's No. 3 economy and was for decades far ahead of giant China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-5-14 10:38:44 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-5-14 08:31
Have you been travelling to any of these developed countries like Australia, Japan or Canada?!  Don' ...

I know you were talking to Ted but I am talking here in my capacity as myself and about myself. I have been to Canada, Japan and S Africa but not to Australia. Sufice to add that my bother was born there. Anyway, why mention Australia since that country must look microscopic compared with Japan?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.