Views: 5511|Replies: 0

Speak English Right - 12/26/16 [Copy link] 中文

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2016-12-30 10:33:13 |Display all floors
Speak English Right - 12/26/16

You can go listen to this lesson at http://www.ximalaya.com/46641376/album/4057748

Good morning.

Marist College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.  conducted a poll of the ‘most annoying’ (烦人) word of 2016. 38 percent of those polled said that the most annoying English word is ‘whatever.’ It isn’t always an annoying word. It depends on how you use it. Today, I’ll teach you the wrong and right way to use this word.

Word

'whatever'

Used in an argument to admit that you are wrong without admitting it so the argument is over. The best way for a Chinese English learner to understand this use of this word is to know that the person who says is it trying to save face without admitting that they were wrong.

Other meanings (when this word is used alone) can be, ‘who cares?’ or ‘that isn’t too interesting and YOU are not too interesting’. Sometimes younger people will just say, “Get a life!”

Practice

Best use of this word:

Whatever happens, you can still succeed and achieve your goal.
Whatever anyone says to you, you can still believe in yourself.
Whatever others do, you can choose if you want to do the same thing or not.

Annoying use of this word:

Mother: You can’t go play with your friends. You’ve been too bad.
Daughter: Well, whatever! (saying, ‘I don’t care’)

Teacher: You are always late to class.
Student: Whatever! (saying ‘it doesn’t matter’)

Also, notice ‘how’ it is said. When it is used and is annoying to others, it is used alone and said as, ‘Whatever.’

That’s all for today.
Goodbye for now.
I hope you have a wonderful day!

Go listen to my lessons at http://www.ximalaya.com/46641376/album/4057748

If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.