Views: 3057|Replies: 4

Could you please tell me the translation ... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-11-8 13:56:50 |Display all floors
of the following English sentence?

"Will you give me leave to defer your raptures tilll I write again?----At present I have not room  to do them justice."

这句话是《傲慢与偏见》第十章的一句对话, 请各位老师帮忙分析语法与翻译一下。 Thanks a lot.
Walter Chang from Shenyang

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-18 17:53:19 |Display all floors
leave=right
defer=delay
raptures=pleasure
room=time or place in this context
do them justice=take care of them now
你让我先打断你的欢乐一下下,行不行,等我写一封信再去问问---现在我实在是没时间搞这个事情。

楼主好嘢,竟然在看这么经典的小说。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-22 11:16:42 |Display all floors
Thank you GreenNanning for the analyses.

I  study English by myself and I heard of some freshmen in English major in colleges start to learn the novel.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-7 22:33:07 |Display all floors
I am also in the middle of reading this great book but I do not find the very sentence you list here in the book , so can you give us more about the chapter you give here, so that a full and detailed explanation might be provided to you after I read the same.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-12-8 10:12:00 |Display all floors
I will typewrite the context and you might find the sentence in the book.

Chapter 10 前半章

"I have already told her so once, by your desire."
"I am afraid you do not like your pen. Let me mend it for you. I mend pens remarkably well"
"Thank you -----but I always mend my own."
"How can you contrive to write so even?"
He was silent.
"Tell your sister I am delighted to hear of her improvement on the harp, and pray let her know that I am quite in raptures with her beautiful little design for a table, and I think it infinitely superior to Miss Grantley's."
"Will you give me leave to defer your rapturea till I write again?-----At present I have not room to do them justice."
"Oh! it is of no consequence. I shall see her in January. But do you always write such charming long letters to her, Mr. Darcy?"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.