Views: 8022|Replies: 57

When "violations of party discipline" really hurt... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-1-28 06:59:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tradervic at 2016-2-22 07:57

Looks like there is going to be some explaining to do with this latest dust up:

(CNN) China's Central Commission on Discipline Inspection announced Tuesday that Wang Bao'an, party chief and director of the country's National Bureau of Statistics, is under investigation for "serious violations of party discipline."

Beijing uses the phrase "violations of party discipline" as a euphemism for graft or corruption.

The surprise announcement, which is bound to raise new questions about the accuracy of Beijing's economic statistics, came just hours after Wang briefed reporters on the state of China's economy.

China's economic statistics have come under fire in recent years from analysts and economists who say they are artificially inflated. Some are convinced that China is outright cooking its books. Others debate the accuracy of certain data and point to more meaningful alternatives like electricity consumption or rail freight.

In the past, criticism of GDP calculations was mostly tied to "GDP worship." One way for officials to get a promotion, be it at the village or provincial level, was to hit -- or exceed -- growth targets, and then send the good news along to Beijing.

"China does not have an independent statistics bureau," Andy Xie, an independent economist, told CNN last year. "It depends on local governments reporting the numbers from the bottom up, and local governments do have an incentive to distort numbers."

President Xi Jinping has waged a three-year crackdown on graft since taking office in 2012. The campaign has targeted officials at state-owned companies, as well as top Communist Party officials. The investigations often result in convictions.

Before leading the National Bureau of Statistics, Wang worked in China's Ministry of Finance and held positions related to tax administration.

-- Steven Jiang and Huizhong Wu contributed reporting.

CNNMoney (New Delhi)
First published January 26, 2016: 6:57 AM ET

Note to Readers of this Thread:

Post #2 was 'looted' by Robert237 around February 24, 2015, instead of the time/date stamp posed.  If you want to learn how to 'Sofa Loot', take a look at posts #24 and #25 of this thread.  As for his attempt to circumvent the topic of this thread, especially a month after it was started... ... much like the topic, it could be the case of "too little, too late".
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2016-1-28 06:59:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2016-2-21 19:34

That's the biggest difference between the Chinese government and most governments of the west, including the USA.

In China the government works to eliminate corruption. In the west the corrupt work to control govenment.

This is why most governments of the west, including the USA, are oligarchies. The rich own the USA and run the nation.
Elections are just shows to appease the masses. It doesn't matter who gets elected, the rich still run the USA.

This is why almost all of the 85 people who have as much money as the lower 3,400,000,000 live in the USA.
They've spent the last 40 years giving themselves tax break after tax break. Most hardly pay any taxes at all.
They have their money parked overseas in countries that cater to the rich.
In reality the USA is near the top in corruption.

I congratulate China on being one of the few major nations to truly go after corrupt officials and corruption in general.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-28 21:54:04 |Display all floors
Wow... not even the most vocal folks in the "Usual Gang of Forumites" are willing to touch this?  It is amazing what boundaries can be discovered over time.

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-28 21:57:01 |Display all floors
tradervic Post time: 2016-1-28 21:54
Wow... not even the most vocal folks in the "Usual Gang of Forumites" are willing to touch this?  It ...

Give it a day or two
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-28 22:03:52 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2016-1-28 07:57
Give it a day or two

Meh... been a while since I witnessed a good old flame fest at the BBS - hoping something like this would bring out some of the old gang.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-28 23:04:24 |Display all floors
tradervic Post time: 2016-1-28 22:03
Meh... been a while since I witnessed a good old flame fest at the BBS - hoping something like thi ...

Oh yes, it can get rather entertaining.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-2-1 01:17:24 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2016-1-28 09:04
Oh yes, it can get rather entertaining.

Yet... no takers on this topic, none at all?  Hm... I wonder if I could use this as a way to shut down other flaming threads through out the BBS.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.