Views: 7289|Replies: 6

Devastating earthquake in Nepal [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-4-26 09:38:28 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 财神 at 2015-4-26 09:39

A massive 7.9-magnitude earthquake has struck Nepal less than 50 miles from the capital, Kathmandu, the U.S. Geological Survey said Saturday.The quake rattled an area between the capital Kathmandu and the city of Pokhara. Various buildings, including the walls surrounding Nepal's royal palace collapsed after the earthquake rocked Nepal.

The strong earthquake rocked buildings in the capital, and more casualties are feared. The quake was felt in India, Malaysia and Bangladesh. Avalanches occurred on Mount Everest, according to a CNN report. Support from India, Pakistan, China, USA and various nations from the world have declared till now. Rehabilitation and rescue is going on amid the quakes have been occurring in the nation.  

Death toll reaches over 1500

According to the latest report more than 1500 persons died in the deadly earthquake. A statement issued by the Home Ministry states that the quake has killed 500 persons in Kathmandu alone while 164 others, mostly women and children, in Bhaktapur and 66 in Lalitpur and other parts of nepal. The number of casualty may rise, says Home Ministry. Historical monuments such as Dharhara and Basantapur Durbar Square and Patan Durbar Square have been completely detroyed in the country.

China pledges rescue; Prez Jinping expresses concerns

China has expressed its deep sorrow over the deadly earthquake that claimed hundreds of lives on Saturday. It has pledged all kinds of assistance to Nepal at this time of emergency. It is sending 65 trained personnel along with necessary kits in a special plane on Sunday. Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs informed such to Nepali mission in China.

Meanwhile, Chinese President Xi Jinping wrote a letter to his Nepali counterpart President Ram Baran Yadav and expressed his concerns over today's tragedy. Similarly, Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang and Foreign Minister Wang Yi also wrote separate letters to their Nepali counterparts Prime Minister Sushil Koirala and Mahendra Bahadur Pandey through Beijing-based Nepali Embassy today and expressed their sympathies to victims.

Government declares national emergency

An emergency Cabinet meeting on Saturday declared a national emergency in some earthquake-hit areas and offered Rs 500 million in immediate relief to the national disaster fund. Over 25 districts have been badly hit by the quake.

The meeting declared the national crisis and urged all to engage in rescue efforts. The government also decided to mobilise all state agencies including bureaucracy and security bodies at this moment of national crisis. The meeting also decided to urge the international community to extend all possible help to facilitate rescue and rehabilitation works.  

Major political parties and Prime Minister Sushil Koirala expressed their sorrow at the huge loss of lives and properties. PM Koirala reached Bangkok from Indonesia on Saturday cutting his visit short. He expressed his grief at the devastation. He urged everyone to chip in rescue operations.

US releases 1 million $ for Nepal

United States Secretary John Kerry has issued a press statement on Saturday on behalf of the US government to express condolences to all of those affected by the earthquake in Nepal, including the families of those who died in Nepal, India, and Bangladesh. Kerry, in his statement, said that they are working closely with the government of Nepal to provide assistance and support at this time of crisis.

Meanwhile, Ambassador Bodde has issued a disaster declaration in order to immediately release an initial $1 million for humanitarian assistance.  USAID is preparing to deploy a Disaster Assistance Response Team and is activating an Urban Search and Rescue Team to accompany disaster experts and assist with assessments of the situation.

Earthquake in China’s Tibet

According to the China daily, China’s southwest Tibet region also affected by the earthquake that have been succumbed at least 17 Chinese national, Saturday. Some 7,000 people have been relocated in the county of Nyalam, while about 5,000 have been evacuated in the county of Gyirong. The quake toppled 1,191 houses, damaged roads and cut off telecommunications in the two counties, both in Xigaze, as well as in several neighboring regions. In Xigaze, 54 temples sustained damages during the tremor, although no casualties have been reported so far. Following strong earthquakes in Nepal, a 5.9-magnitude quake shook Dingri County of Xigaze at 5:17 p.m. Saturday.

The entire nation is shock by the deadly earthquake, including neighboring nations. In these calamity hours we should join hands to save the lives and pray for the Nepal and affected all.

(News from Media)

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-4-26 17:18:37 |Display all floors
This is a true tragedy. The Nepalese are lovely people and live for the most part harsh lives dominated by poverty.  My best wishes and thoughts are with them in their hour of need. I for one will be opening my wallet and making a donation to a suitable relief agency.

What about the other members will you do something to help?
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-26 22:20:22 |Display all floors
GOOD LUCK !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-27 10:48:28 |Display all floors
There are already Chinese tourists coming back to China from Nepal.
My boyfriend is Chinese and he was climbing mt. everest. Most of his team died or lies in hospital. He is 'only' lightly injured and wants to go back to China as soon as possible. He can't get through to the Chinese embassy. If anyone knows another way, or which airlines are helping the Chinese to get back????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-27 12:46:42 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2015-4-26 17:18
This is a true tragedy. The Nepalese are lovely people and live for the most part harsh lives domina ...

How I wish I could donate some money, but I wonder how much of the money I donate could be delievered to Nepalese!

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-4-27 13:04:07 |Display all floors
xu1987129 Post time: 2015-4-27 12:46
How I wish I could donate some money, but I wonder how much of the money I donate could be delieve ...

This is the hard part, finding a charity that will really spend the money where it's needed. Here in Australia it's a matter of calling up the local Nepalese society to find out who's doing what. Often one of the banks opens a donation account and all of the money goes direct to needy via either a UN aid organisation or trusted local group.

In China I'd suggest contacting the local Communist party office and seeing if they have any suggestions. I know Red Cross China's been the subject of much controversy in the past couple of years but I believe those issues are now in the past and it's back to doing what it should do with honest staff in place.  Perhaps contact them.  

Another thing you can do is get your company or university etc to start an aid drive, collaborate with other companies or schools and contact the Nepalese embassy for where to send the donation.  There's a lot more you can organise and do, from the collection of clothing and simple things like dry noodles to filling a few trucks with supplies and finding a benefactor to cover transportation costs.  With planning, foresight and determination it's amazing what people can get going and how many will come on board to help.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-4-27 18:29:29 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2015-4-27 13:04
This is the hard part, finding a charity that will really spend the money where it's needed. Here  ...

dear ratfink thanks for facilitation, i am not that much familiar here.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.