Author: voice_cd

World Book Day: Best novels for English learners [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-17 14:12:17 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2018-4-16 18:10
Hi, thanks for the book recommendation. Could you plz give us a more appealing reason for the "To  ...

I edited my post #2 with the short summary since my second post with the summary never appeared.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 14:13:44 |Display all floors
  Toni Morrison and  Donna Tartt are skillful hands when it comes to telling stories. If you want to read stories concerning China, try Lisa Lee's novels.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 15:15:45 |Display all floors
tatata69 Post time: 2018-4-17 13:57
If you are looking for some well-written novels, then reading All the Light We Cannot See would  ...

If you are looking for some well-written novels, then reading All the Light We Cannot See would be a good choice. The language of this novel is beautiful. Hanya Yanagihara's Little Life is another delightful one, although the novel is chock-a-block with flashbacks that leave readers feeling dizzy.

You're not talking about chaff this tme, tatata. It looks like a good read. You have my back up on the recommendation of yours above.

Be sure not to read books written by American conservatives, lest you get brainwashed and end up becoming a maniac like  Bill O'Reilly.

Certainly, O'Reilly is not only a conservative, but also a notorious womaniser for more than a decade.

Fiction in English is not my cup of tea now. Maybe in the future.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-17 16:37:37 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 18:01:54 |Display all floors
Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman by Robert K. Massie

The most important reason I recommend is not to limit ourselves in American or British literature or novels but also the rest of the world. English is a bridge to the rest of the world, to the knowledge of the disciples we are interested in, etc.

I read this book last year. In this book, Massie painted the Catherine with the historic dropback of Prussia, Poland, English, Russia, etc. along with anecdotes.

Though there are books, which are labelled as literature features, the black lives, Americans can hardly redeem themselves. As Mr. Robert Massie pointed out in this book of his many American Presidents were slaves owners.

Today, the images of those Presidents are honored on the US currency. For example, George Washington is an example. Could anyone imagine if Hilter would be honored on German Marks, or Euros? American politicans never ever lead their own people do the soul-searching like the German government does. On the contrary, the main stream of the white make ode to the slave owners, perpetrators of gen   ecides to native Americans.

Racism is engrained in the American society as Rev. Wright denounces. Like To Kill a Mockingbird, history repeats. A few years ago, in St. Louis, an unarmed black teen was killed by a white police who is scot free with the verdict of the jury who  almost all white except for one black.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 18:14:10 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-4-17 16:37

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 18:24:01 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-17 12:21
"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a story told in the deep south of the USA during the
Great Depression ( ...

If Paul Martin, former copy chief of The Wall Street Journal, were sitting here, he would tell you that you seem to  have trouble figuring out when to use who and whom, poor robert. It would have been wise to replace who with whom in the sentence " a young boy appears in the neighborhood
whom Scout and Jem befriend."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.