Author: voice_cd

World Book Day: Best novels for English learners [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-17 12:03:01 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-4-17 09:41
A colossal wreck: a road trip through political scandal, corruption, and American culture by Alexand ...

Chinese readers had better not to read The White Tiger because the author Aravind Adiga, a former reporter at Time magazine, is using this novel to not just to lay bare India's social ills but skewer China as well. The hidden message is: Lo and behold, China. You are still uncivilized like India.

From my perspective,  an Indo-Australian writer like Aravind Adiga doesn't do justice to India' economic and social development; the narrative of this novel is adumbrated by his own bias against India.

That being said, it's still a tour de force just like two other novels written by Indian novelists Arundhati Roy and   Salman Rushdie.  Naipaul, who is a British writer of Indian descent, has also written some remarkable stories with incantatory prose.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 12:21:08 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-4-17 09:41
A colossal wreck: a road trip through political scandal, corruption, and American culture by Alexand ...

If you truly crave books featuring the frailties of capitalism or America's political system, then you will be amazed by the fact that scores of American journalists and intellectuals are not loth to slash American political figures and even try to dig up their scandals. It's called freedom of expression.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-17 12:21:55 |Display all floors
voice_cd Post time: 2018-4-16 18:10
Hi, thanks for the book recommendation. Could you plz give us a more appealing reason for the "To  ...

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a story told in the deep south of the USA during the
Great Depression (early 1930s).
The story is told through the eyes of a young girl over a two year period of her
life (6-8 years old).
It deals with the loss of innocence, racism, and the triumph of the human spirit.
The young girl (the central character) is nicknamed Scout. She has an older brother
nicknamed Jem. Their father, Atticus Finch, is a lawyer in the small town.
The story starts in the summer of 1933 and a young boy appears in the neighborhood
who Scout and Jem befriend. The friend's name is Dill and he is there for the summer.
The three of them get into childhood adventures, the most important centering on
a mysterious man, Boo Radley, who lives a few houses down the road. All sorts of
rumors surround this mysterious man who the children have never seen. He is a recluse.
As with most rumor, most are dark and sinister.

Later in the novel the father, Atticus agrees to be the defense lawyer for a black man
who has been accused of raping a young white woman. The woman's farther is a drunk who
is an extreme racists. In those days a black man accused of any crime against a
white person was guaranteed to be convicted no matter the circumstances of the
evidence. Atticus can see the black man he is representing is innocent but expects
to lose the trial. He has greater hopes of defending his client by appealing to
higher courts. But before he can appeal after losing the trial his client tries
to escape and is shot dead.
The drunkard father of the falsely accusing white woman seeks revenge because he
feels he has been made a fool of in court by Atticus and the judge.

Later in the novel the drunkard attacks Scout and Jem on their way home from a
school festival. Jem's arm is broken severly and a mysterious person intervenes
before the drunkard can do any more harm. The drunkard is killed and the mysterious
man carries Jem to his home.

Who is this mysterious man and what happened to him after the investigation?
That's for the reader to find out.

They say you should write about what you know. Harper Lee grew up in a small town
in the state of Alabama during this time. Her intimate knowledge of this time and
place is what makes this book so powerful.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 13:07:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zhihu1 at 2018-4-17 13:21
tatata69 Post time: 2018-4-17 12:21
If you truly crave books featuring the frailties of capitalism or America's political system, th ...

Good day, tatata69!

I am wondering why you don't recommend your favourite book named Fifty Shades?

I personally recommend the book by Emily Post about etiquette, and Conditioned Reflex Therapy by Andrew Salter to you and seneca. The former is available from Project Gutenberg for free. Mr. Salter talked about the treatments for anti-social psychopath with his spontaneous writing style.

Run along, and don't ruin this thread, okay?

Cheers,

zhihu1, your intelligent caring friend on CD

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 13:40:21 |Display all floors
zhihu1 Post time: 2018-4-17 13:07
Good day, tatata69!

I am wondering why you don't recommend your favourite book named Fifty Shades? ...

Well, maybe I was hoping to to find  a giddy  female character like your  girlfriend in that novel. . You don't have to read  such bawdy novel since you meet  such promiscuous girls and take-no-prisoners  men who are on the prowl  all the time in China.

By the way, visit me if you have time. I happen to be a shrink who'd love to help pusillanimous  poltroons like you and robert  to find their bearings.  Grow a pair, kid. Don't bask in your own nonsensical fantasies day in and day out.;P

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 13:44:53 |Display all floors
Good day, tatata69!

I am wondering why you don't recommend your favourite book named Fifty Shades? ...

I just consider you a cartoonish figure just like your best friend robert.  .

You fancy finding out what kinda books I'd love to read, huh? Sorry, you are not qualified to know that. Beyond that, my fave books sound heavy to a naif like you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 13:57:01 |Display all floors
Good day, tatata69!

If you are looking for some well-written novels, then reading All the Light We Cannot See would be a good choice. The language of this novel is beautiful. Hanya Yanagihara's Little Life is another delightful one, although the novel is chock-a-block with flashbacks that leave readers feeling dizzy.

Be sure not to read books written by American conservatives, lest you get brainwashed and end up becoming a maniac like  Bill O'Reilly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.