World Book Day: Best novels for English learners - Page 10 - Free Talk - Chinadaily Forum
Author: voice_cd

World Book Day: Best novels for English learners [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-17 21:27:42 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-17 21:47:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by zhihu1 at 2018-4-17 21:52
seneca Post time: 2018-4-17 21:27
It shows you are not very familiar with how English speakers THINK. It's probably a bit over you ...

I don't find a hatchet to fight with you now. If you take up your hatchet, and want to behead me because of a slip of my pen, then it is up to you.

Lion is in exile because of the trap you set up. The forum almost comes to a standstill, except for your ex bossom friend Bobby who kindly keeps you company everyday. Could you imagine that one day he left you alone too?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-4-17 21:53:40 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-16 16:14
"To Kill a Mockingbird" by "Harper Lee" is a pretty good book.
It was the only book Harper Lee ever  ...

I know you read the news Robert. To Kill a Mockingbird is not the only book that Harper Lee ever wrote - she also wrote Go Set a Watchman. You cant have missed that. And I don't think To Kill a Mockingbird is so great you know. What is so good about it? They made me read the thing in highschool. I was forced to read it. I think its note propaganda than book. Its like that crap Uncle Tom book. Did you ever try to read that crap. Again - more propaganda than a book. Yankee propaganda.

What do you know Robert? Did you enjoy The Yearling? Are you a Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings fan too? Did you ever watch that Japanese Yearling cartoon? I did. I used to like it.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-17 21:54:27 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-4-17 22:41:14 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-16 16:14
"To Kill a Mockingbird" by "Harper Lee" is a pretty good book.
It was the only book Harper Lee ever  ...

Did you know that George Orwell had never been to Russia Robert?

"Orwells anti-communist and anti-Russia propaganda had about as much to do with reality as Chin Chan Chow has to everyday life in Baghdad." - HailChina!

They made me read that crap Animal Farm in highschool too you know. Talk about a load of crap.

"I have never visited Russia and my knowledge of it consists only of what can be learned by reading books and newspapers." - George Orwell

Maybe the reason for George Orwell's Animal Farm being so weak is the fact that he did not know much about Russia or Communism. Sure its fine for brainwashing children that don't know any better but for any thinking person Animal Farm is idiotic anti-Communist trash from British 'Intelligence'. Right? Or maybe its just trash. Personally I would disagree that people must write what they know for it to be good or powerful - I think that you can learn a lot from newspapers and books and TV and the internet. Some people can anyway. Im pretty sure that Orwell and British Intelligence knew some stuff about Russia and Communism. Most people are pretty dumb I guess and maybe that is why Animal Farm is powerful enough to brainwash not just western children but their stupid parents as well. Look at how the western fools - mostly the 'educated' ones' -  worship pathetic George Orwell. Its ridiculous. But maybe they know, but consider themselves to be outer party members if they earn over $80,000 a year? Surely they all can't be so stupid. Still - they are kidding themselves. Outer outer party members maybe but not really hey.

What was a good book they made you read in highschool Robert? They made me read Fahrenheit 451. I thought it was OK. I liked the ending.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-18 06:31:14 |Display all floors
It sure didn't take long for this thread to get derailed, did it?

For novels, for advanced readers I would suggest anything by Ernest Hemingway, or Farley Mowat if you like a bit of humour in your novels. For readers who are still at a low or intermediate English level, you might want something to keep your interest peaked, such as the Hardy Boys, or the Nancy Drew series'. Both are useful for more "everyday" vocabulary and syntax.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-19 12:32:40 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.