Author: pnp

Many Chinese Have Become Rich Before They Have Become Civilized   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-9 19:58:21 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-2-9 13:02
"i believe the givernment are trying to get people to change, but what more can they  do"

I believ ...

You have an admirably naive faith in the role model function of civil servants and the government. Why should THEY "educate" the masses? In fact, the government is the problem as it makes laws and it breaks them as often as it can, and the public has no trust in laws that the officials break themselves.

The people are as lawless as their rulers are.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 08:25:46 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-2-9 13:02
"i believe the givernment are trying to get people to change, but what more can they  do"

I believ ...

How do you suggest the government enforce the rules? They don't have enough police manpower for that chore. Cheng guan? They don't exactly have a stellar reputation themselves. It would seem to me that about the only way would be a massive education campaign. Unfortunately, for such a campaign to take root and hold, it would take about 3 generations of Chinese constantly reinforcing the education campaign through parents teaching their children, and disciplining them when they fail to abide by their parents' teachings, before proper manners become second-nature.

These things take time. There is no instant cure, but everyone, young and old, has to get with the program in order for it to work. It's also the little things. By this I mean changes to culture and language usage, such as, "Please pass the Soy Sauce (to me)", as opposed to the normal request/demand, "Give me the Soy Sauce", as well as other 'basic' table manners.

I think one thing that has not been ingrained into the travelling Chinese public, is that when they leave China and go to another country as tourists, they are unofficially acting as "ambassadors", or "representatives", of China, and should be on their best behaviour in order to present their home country in the best light. Unfortunately, this does not always happen.

There is a long road ahead in this struggle to empower people with what would internationally be considered "good manners".
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 11:28:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-2-10 11:50
seneca Post time: 2018-2-9 19:58
You have an admirably naive faith in the role model function of civil servants and the government. ...

Oh, another swipe at the CPC, as usual!
The lawbreakers in govt are being brought to book as in corruption cases where the foxhunt goes all the way overseas, and at home the govt has been caging 'tigers' and swatting 'flies'.  Don't try to demonize  the govt with a broad swipe of your dirty brush; it is trying to impose the rule of law but it needs time as the rule of law is alien to the Chinese! Throughout the ages the Chinese have relied more on 'guanxi' than on law; takes time to change their mindset!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-10 11:57:47 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-2-10 11:28
Oh, another swipe at the CPC, as usual!
The lawbreakers in govt are being brought to book as in cor ...

More naive window-dressing. Corruption is not being checked at all. It is redirected as we speak. Everyone is involved in corruption from the lowliest citizen to the highest officials. Where else in the world does a provincial governor´s wife get involved in graft with a foreign businessman and actually murder him to escape exposure but in China???

And what is the ruling clique doing in Malaysia if not promoting corruption? And no, Malaysia is not the only case.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 12:10:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-2-10 12:28
seneca Post time: 2018-2-10 11:57
More naive window-dressing. Corruption is not being checked at all. It is redirected as we speak.  ...

Oh, I forgot you like to dig up old cases, before the anti corruption campaign was launched.  And you seem to be belittling China's efforts, such as skynet which had nabbed a number of fugitives from abroad!  Btw, which society is free of corruption?  Even those western style democracies are not free of this scourge!  Just in case you have forgotten, France's ex presidents, Chirac & Sarkovsky;  Israel's prsent PM Netanyahu, and a previous PM; South Korea's ex president now in detention awaiting corruption trial, previous president who jumped as investigators closed in;  and a bunch of Indian politicians; Pakistan's prime minister Nawaz Sharif,  Brazil's past and present presidents, Lulla and Temer;  etc, etc!  And all of them hail from western style democracies, the one man, one vote system, that enabled them to get into power!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 12:41:50 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-2-9 13:52
Ok, I repeat my post to parcher's post:

parcher's Post time: 2018-2-7 19:08

"So what's your beef?"

Well, my beef is that you have introduced a matter which is not relevant to the topic here.  If there are fools who want to lose their pants speculating in bitcoin, let them be.  I am more concerned with antisocial behavior that affrects other members of the community.  Bitcoin speculators have only their money to lose; their behavior does not affect others!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 12:43:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-2-10 12:47
seneca Post time: 2018-2-9 19:47
You are a FOREIGNER and you talk about Chinese in the most condescending manner but still believe  ...

Not as bad as your frequent anti CPC rants!  Your comments are destructive, mine are constructive!    Who can fault me for wanting a better behaved population?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.