Views: 1283|Replies: 14

Should confinement after giving birth be abandoned? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-7-17 10:28:21 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ceciliazhang at 2017-7-17 14:09

The recent death of a woman from Zibo, Shandong province has put the spotlgith on the Chinese traditional custom of "postpartum confinement", a month-long period when new mothers are put on bed rest and advised to keep warm-even in the heat of summer. The woman, who was in her 20s, was sent to a hospital in Zibo, with her body temperature exceeding 40 degrees Celsius and her heart and liver severely damaged. The custom is called zuoyuezi. Chinese believe women will suffer less from diseases in old age if they follow this tradition. Despite their effects not being proven by modern medical science, such methods managed to defy time and are still practiced nowadays.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-17 10:54:41 |Display all floors
Zuoyuezi is nothing like this, it just requires the room to preserve warmth cuz women can be very fragile after giving birth, but women can still walk around in pajamas if the room temperature is stable. This woman is doing it in a wrong way. Postpartum confinement is good for woman, which is why women enjoy postpartum holiday for about half a year.
Now playing: This woman's work - Kate Bush♫♫♫

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-17 22:08:34 |Display all floors
It should be abandoned in most families, because it belongs to times when access to medical care was not what it is today.

People should not expect to be treated in tax-funded public hospitals with western quality medicine, if they refuse to accept instructions from the same level of professionals, and instead choose suicidal practises like this.

I will quote myself from other thread on this site, and repeat that in aspects like this, older grandparents and even older parents in today's China are not qualified to raise children in today's environment.

I know no Chinese woman, including my wife, who has enjoyed postpartum confinement for the full one month, much less longer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 00:13:49 |Display all floors
my chin. wife has 2 kids, she never....
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 01:03:37 |Display all floors
tailorsas Post time: 2017-7-17 10:54
Zuoyuezi is nothing like this, it just requires the room to preserve warmth cuz women can be very fr ...

Unfortunately, it is an old myth that simply refuses to go away. A woman should not be confined to her bed and kept warm [hot]. Another one of these useless traditions: a woman is not wash her hair for one month?  LOL... but, unfortunately, very sad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 07:09:50 |Display all floors
Just wrap the whole body with plastic and send her off to work.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-7-18 08:38:01 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2017-7-18 00:13
my chin. wife has 2 kids, she never....

There is difference between China and western countries on postpartum care. But it is really good for women in China. Thoes who are well taken care of during yuezi tend to enjoy a lower probability of suffering from orthopedic diseases and uterus pain.
Now playing: This woman's work - Kate Bush♫♫♫

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.