Views: 2136|Replies: 21

Chinese language endangered by English?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-20 11:26:31 |Display all floors

I just came across a hot online debate about English words mixed in with mandarin in media. There are times when I find myself eavesdropping on conversations like this: "我跟他tell了,这次的presentation一定要很impressive的." (I tell him that the presentation must be impressive.) Many people think that it is fashionable and prestigious to codeswitch and mix English words with local language. It is their way of expressing their worldliness in using English. English is also increasingly used in all types of publications in China such as abbreviations and acronyms.  Are English words becoming abusive? Will they damage the purity of the Chinese language?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 13:36:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by teatree16 at 2017-3-20 13:40

That's amusing:)  But preferably people use proper language, either in Chinese or English not mixing with each other.  It'll be not very appropriate for someone speaks Chinese with mixed English in formal or even informal social occasions, sounds bit strange...

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-3-20 13:49:53 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-3-20 13:36
That's amusing:)  But preferably people use proper language, either in Chinese or English not mixing ...

Yes. I can understand when they are talking about something technical or economical that they have never learned the word at home. The mixture of basically pointless English words into Mandarin or vice-versa strikes me as being mostly a conscious attempt to show off.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 13:51:26 |Display all floors
I think exactly the same as you:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 15:01:48 |Display all floors
The same happens in most countries especially those of ASEAN, where English is a language for commerce and trade.
At least, you are fortunate to have only some English in Chinese but not dialects as in ASEAN.
In Hong Kong, at times it could be almost impossible to understand them. A simple sentence could have English at the initial two words, followed by one or two in Chinese dialect, then by others in other languages. So, you could imagine effects on their languages. Perhaps, it is more lively than the plain one language!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 15:05:45 |Display all floors
teatree16 Post time: 2017-3-20 13:36
That's amusing:)  But preferably people use proper language, either in Chinese or English not mixing ...

Yes, you are correct!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-3-20 15:10:23 |Display all floors
linda_sun Post time: 2017-3-20 13:49
Yes. I can understand when they are talking about something technical or economical that they have ...

Having consulted some experts, they urged not to practise it. Major cause for is due to lack of proficiency in both languages. So, they resorted to it and thought that it was very fashionable.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.